Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Appears to be a dead battery but...

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2009, 10:19 AM
HCF Member
Default Appears to be a dead battery but...

Hi,

I would have searched the forums more but I'm on my phone away from a computer. My friend's car is dead. First thought it was the battery.

When you set the key to position 2 right before the ignition fires usually all the dash lights light up. However the lights now click and blinks for a littlw while and fades. When u try to start the car all the lights go away and there is no sound at all.

We tried jumping the car but the rescue car won't start with the cables connected. It's as if there is a drain being caused by the bad car. I confirmed it by starting the rescue car with the cables and it's fine.

You guys have any ides???

Old 08-17-2009, 10:58 AM
HCF Member

ok... i feel dumb now. finally called AAA and the guy's battery boost unit was able to start the car.

i guess my '93 civic (the rescue car) battery is either not strong enough or about to go. i wasn't able to even start it to begin the battery jump. very strange as I've never experienced that before. usually the 'good' car starts fine without a hitch.

anyways, i think we can delete this thread. thanks.

Old 08-18-2009, 03:25 AM
Recognized HCF Member

Bad connections at the battery can make it seem like a dead battery. The connections on your battery may be loose, when you connected the jumper cables the connection got bumped then your car wouldn't start.

Old 08-18-2009, 09:27 AM
HCF Member

Originally Posted by mk378
Bad connections at the battery can make it seem like a dead battery. The connections on your battery may be loose, when you connected the jumper cables the connection got bumped then your car wouldn't start.
thanks for the reply. i took it to kragen's and got the old battery checked just to verify it was dead. it was reading 9v. we tried resuscitating it but 9v is pretty dead and as expected the charging didn't work.

it was genuine honda battery from a 2006 civic... i know batteries don't last forever but it's the shortest life for a battery i've experienced ever.

oh well... you live long enough, you see everything there is.