Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Aww that's just great. White smoke....

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2009, 12:53 PM
HCF Member
Default Aww that's just great. White smoke....

So you may remember I replaced what amounts to the entire cooling system in my wife's '98 EX a couple of weeks ago, and the overheating problem went away. Fast forward to today and now she's telling me there's white smoke in the exhaust. A lot of white smoke. Is this for sure a head gasket and what am I looking at for repair costs? Can I do it myself?

Old 08-31-2009, 01:32 PM
Chubby Chaser

you can do it yourself not a hard job but just make sure you have the head mill'd before reinstalling

Old 08-31-2009, 01:41 PM
HCF Member

Can a head gasket be replaced without removing the engine from the bay?

Old 08-31-2009, 02:50 PM

you don't need to remove the engine from the engine bay.

In a nutshell, what you do is pop the timing belt tensioner bolt cover off the lower timing belt cover and then relieve the tension on the belt. Unbolt the intake manifold from the head and unbolt it from the T-bracket on the back of the engine. Unbolt your exhaust manifold. Slide the timing belt off the cam gear (I would set the engine to TDC before doing this). Remove the head studs and remove the head.

Don't just go by that, because it's missing little details like some wiring harnesses at the distributor and sensors, etc. But to give you an idea of the work involved, that's about it.

Old 08-31-2009, 03:42 PM
HCF Member

Originally Posted by Ruenin
So you may remember I replaced what amounts to the entire cooling system in my wife's '98 EX a couple of weeks ago, and the overheating problem went away. Fast forward to today and now she's telling me there's white smoke in the exhaust. A lot of white smoke. Is this for sure a head gasket and what am I looking at for repair costs? Can I do it myself?
i have this white smoke ..this is caused by a head gasket? is that the only thing that could cause it

Old 08-31-2009, 04:12 PM
Chubby Chaser

does it overheat...are you losing coolant?

Old 08-31-2009, 07:01 PM
HCF Member

Originally Posted by 94civichatchback
does it overheat...are you losing coolant?
no and no

Old 08-31-2009, 07:07 PM
Recognized HCF Member

Does the "smoke" smell like antifreeze? Take the spark plugs out and inspect. Are one or two of them wet or a different color from the others?

There is also a remote chance of coolant getting into the engine through the parts on the intake that have coolant in them.

Old 08-31-2009, 07:30 PM
Chubby Chaser

then it might not be a head gasket
is it white or does it have a blueish tint?

Old 09-04-2009, 04:59 PM
HCF Member

Alright, so today I just wanted to check the coolant and I found that the resevoir was mostly empty, so I'm losing coolant somewhere. I'm guessing that it's being burned off. However, I have a question about pressure. I opened the radiator cap once the engine was cool and it popped off with near explosive pressure. Is that normal? No spray at all, just surprised me because I wasn't expecting that.

Quick Reply: Aww that's just great. White smoke....