Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Aww that's just great. White smoke....

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2009, 05:30 PM

How long did you wait? It takes HOURS for the engine to completely cool.

Old 09-04-2009, 05:42 PM
HCF Member

Waited 2 hours for it to cool. It wasn't ran for more then a mile at 40 mph, so I don't believe it was even fully warm before I shut it down.

Old 09-04-2009, 06:13 PM
Chubby Chaser

the radiator systems hold upto 11-13 lbs of pressure when its warmed up. but maybe the thermostat or the radiator cap isnt releasing the pressure. btw have you filled up your coolant and tried to track about how much coolant you are loosing?

Old 09-04-2009, 09:26 PM
HCF Member

The radiator itself wasn't low on coolant, but I filled the resevoir to spec. I haven't driven it since then, but that was only a few hours ago. So the radiator cap is supposed to release pressure? I wasn't aware of that. Seems like it should keep it pretty well sealed.

Old 09-05-2009, 05:55 AM
Chubby Chaser

the cap is designed for when the water heats up it expands causing pressure when it reaches a certain amount of pressure the cap opens and releaves the pressure into the overflow canister. when the car cools, the radiator cap opens and draws the coolant from the overflow canister back into the radiator.

Old 09-05-2009, 06:42 AM
HCF Member

Ok, so riddle me this: would an overbuilding of pressure cause the check engine light to come on? Also, what kind of damage could occur if that pressure isn't released when it's supposed to be?

Old 09-05-2009, 06:47 AM
gwl
HCF Member

Originally Posted by Ruenin
Alright, so today I just wanted to check the coolant and I found that the resevoir was mostly empty, so I'm losing coolant somewhere. I'm guessing that it's being burned off. However, I have a question about pressure. I opened the radiator cap once the engine was cool and it popped off with near explosive pressure. Is that normal? No spray at all, just surprised me because I wasn't expecting that.
I had a similar situation but I let my engine cool overnight. When I went to check the coolant level in the radiator air would rush out. I was loosing coolant without any leaks. The air I heard was the exhaust gases that was leaking through the head gasket.

Old 09-05-2009, 02:44 PM
Chubby Chaser

no it wouldnt make a cel come on. if you do have a cel on i'd suggest getting codes pulled. and i also suggest getting a compression check done.

Old 09-09-2009, 11:14 AM
HCF Member

Pulled a code today. P1456 is what came up, which according to what I could find has something to do with the EVAP system. Anyone care to shed any light on this?

EDIT: Sounds like it is probably the gas cap leaking. I'll have to check it, but my understanding is that the error is not a serious one and is usually fixed by replacing the gas cap.

Last edited by Ruenin; 09-09-2009 at 12:06 PM.
Old 09-09-2009, 12:39 PM
Recognized HCF Member

Built up pressure in the radiator with the engine cold is indeed probably caused by a head gasket leak. If you fill the radiator while cold and start the engine with the cap off, do bubbles and liquid gush out when you rev the engine?

Quick Reply: Aww that's just great. White smoke....