Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Axel Replacement Question from DIY Forum

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2007, 06:57 AM
Recognized HCF Member
Default RE: Axel Replacement Question from DIY Forum

Put the nut on upside down though so you don't mess up the castle part. Thread it almost all the way on so you're almost but not quite hitting the end of the stud instead of the nut. Don't hammer real hard. If it doesn't come loose, start hitting the side of the control arm instead.

Old 11-21-2007, 09:43 AM
HCF Member

Yeah, iv done tons of axles jobs iv never had a problem, use a large hammer and that son bitch will come right out, have fun trying to get the axle out of the tranny pain in *** if you have never done it before

Old 11-23-2007, 11:45 PM
HCF Member

ORIGINAL: Cyphen

Yeah, iv done tons of axles jobs iv never had a problem, use a large hammer and that son bitch will come right out, have fun trying to get the axle out of the tranny pain in *** if you have never done it before
It's not that bad...

Old 11-24-2007, 12:06 AM

then you got to put the thing back in and do it up tight. i found that the ball joint kept spinning round when i was doing it up, so i put a trolly jack under it jacked it up putting loads of presure on the ball joint that seemed to stop it spinning round. thats only if the ball joint pionts up (castle nut on the top) never tried the other way round

Old 11-26-2007, 05:29 AM
HCF Member

use a big prybar and pry down on the lower control arm, its easwier having someone there to pry down. then use a big freakin hammer and i usually hit the knuckle where the ball joint goes thru. it makes it easier when you unbolt the tierod. she'll come out,

Old 04-23-2009, 08:13 AM
Talking Watch This for easy ball joint separation trick

Guys,

Better yet, watch this for an easy ball joint separation trick. There's a Craftsman socket wrench in there and after jacking up the suspension he just smacks it once with a hammer or his foot. I had to watch it a couple of times but it seems really easy. Watch as the jack as it just gets lowered and you can see the socket wrench in there. Then, whammo!

Here's the You Tube Link:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ISY8bGof3bQ

Mike