Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

B16a2 questions/problems GUYS!!

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2005, 08:39 AM
Default B16a2 questions/problems GUYS!!

i have various questions throughout this post, ANY info is greatly appreciated.

i have a 95' civic with (what i was told) a B16a2 taken out of a 99-2000 civic SI. because the 99-2000 B16 would be OBD2 and my car is only running 1 O2 sensor, am i going to have problems with this? whomever installed this engine was running a P72 (B18) computer. so my performance wasnt very fantastic. a pro looked at my computer thinking that maybe the B18 comp was mapped for a P30 (B16) computer, but it turned out it wasnt. SO...i just went to Intercrew Auto Salon in Dallas/Garland and purchased a P30 computer for my B16. how do i tell if that computer is OBD2 or OBD1?

i have had the car now for 1 year and one month. 5 days a week i put on 71 miles a day at least. (when the B18 comp was still in) all of a sudden the car wouldnt idle. i started blowing dark blue to black smoke out of my exhaust and my plugs were ALL fowled to hell. my gas mileage went to **** and it took one half of a full tank to go 70 miles. the cars performance other than that wasnt very awful. the car surged a little when driving highway, and it actually felt a little more peppy when in the city. all the while, i couldnt stop at a stop sign without dying. i have MSD ignition that i installed with the help of an individual that knew what he was doing about 8-9 months ago. i always run premium gas. BUT, one week prior to this problem, i ran a tank of unleaded gas because everyone assured me that it made no difference. that is the only thing different that i myself did.

so, philip at intercrew told me to first buy a new computer (P30 B16) go home and change the plugs and the oil in case there was about a gallon of gas in my oil, then see what happens. i burned smoke out of my tail pipe for about 7 minutes and it slowly started to clear up. it has since been getting better and now it it driving very well. my plugs are staying very clean, and my gas mileage has now restowed. is there a possibility that my O2 sensor is now dirty due to running rich or burning oil? can i clean it, or simply replace it? i had black soot gathering on the bottom of my tail pipe.

NOW, yesterday, its 30 degrees here in north texas. i start the car and my check engine light comes on and the engine is revving from 1000 to 1500 rpms over and over with perfect tempo. i stop the car...let it sit and restart the car. it continues. i thought maybe the car needed to be warm before it goes away. i drive 20 miles then pull off to the side of the road and pop the hood looking for a vacuum leak. i adjust all the hoses and find no problems other than an existing minor problem (to me) that is the hose going from the air intake to the valve cover has a hairline crack at the end of the hose connecting to the valve cover. after that, i back in the car and start it...now the problem is gone. runs fine and no check engine light. while the check engine light was on, i was again noticing a decrease in gas mileage, but much more slight than before. was there moisture that froze in one of my lines? does this sound like a vacuum problem.

do all of these problems point to something that i havent heard about yet. if you need more information, let me know.

please understand that i know jack nothing about engines. im sorry if i worded things goofy to make no sense. let me know what you guys think. jakob