Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

bad input shaft bearing

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2012, 12:50 PM
Default bad input shaft bearing

I have a bad input shaft bearing. Changed the clutch, pressure plate, throwout bearing, and pilot bushing hoping the noise would go away but turns out the be the isb. Noise goes completely away when clutch fully engaged. Even rolling with the clutch engaged in gear you can hear the whining and then goes away when i shift into neutral with the clutch engaged. So i pretty much narrowed it down but I have been driving with this worn bearing for nearly 50k miles and I dont know how bad its been for since thats how I bought the car. Would it be ok to just change the isb when i crack it open? I dont know if the worn bearing would have caused other problems internally. The only problem I have is the noise with my transmission at the moment. I drive this car over 160 miles a day, and its starting to weigh on me. I dont wanna get stuck on the side of the highway one day. Im just trying to do the least as possible putting the least money into this as possible now since im at 180k miles but dont wanna half *** the job causing me more time in the future. Spending money on a rebuilt tranny would kinda be a waste if i can just get away with doing a bearing myself. And yes I plan on driving this car into the ground. All input appreciated thanks.

Old 12-23-2012, 02:18 PM
Recognized HCF Member

You can open it up and change just the bearing, the rest of the transmission should be OK. The outer input shaft bearing is by far the first part to wear out. Of course if you drive until it completely blows up, you'll need a new transmission.

Old 12-23-2012, 06:02 PM

Thanks for the fast reply. Since I will be opening it up a full rebuild is not out of the question at this point, an inspection of the other bearings and components will determine that. Would that be worth it or would buying an already rebuilt one make more sense considering labor time. I know the kits sell anywhere form 170 - 200 bucks plus other parts. Cant really find a price on a rebuilt one. If its not much more not worth wasting time when I can just throw it in.