Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Battery & ABS light flickering

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2007, 09:03 AM
Default Battery & ABS light flickering

A couple of weeks ago the battery & abs lights started flickering on my wifes 2000 Civic Sedan. Of course she didn't tell me about it until well after the fact. It got to the point where the car would start to stall when she came to a stop. We took it in to Canadian Tire as I felt it was likely the alternator that was shot. They tested the alternator & said it was fine but that the battery was shot. So $200 later the batter was replaced & the alternator retested & still working fine.

A few days ago she tells me the battery light problem has never gone away since she picked it up & yesterday the car died on her way to work. Got it jumped & back to Canadian Tire for service. Today they tell me the alternator is shot & needs to be replaced which is gonna run another $375. What I don't understand is how in the span of 2 weeks the alternator can suddenly go bad & what caused the battery problem in the first place. I'm guessing the old battery wasn't being charged properly or at all & thus killed the battery. Why now is the alternator shot?

I have a basic understanding of the vehicle charging system & I know that it basically consists of the battery, alternator & voltage regulator (which is usually part of the alt.). Anybody have any thoughts on what might have caused all this as I'm affraid they're going to miss something else & end up killing another alt. & or batt.

Old 10-30-2007, 12:50 PM
Default RE: Battery & ABS light flickering

It sounds to me like your alternator was the problem from the beginning. If it were me, I would not give Candian Tire any more of my money. They already boned you once. Find a reputable full service shop to get your alternator replaced.

Old 10-30-2007, 01:05 PM
Recognized HCF Member

I completely agree with Gacyota.

Old 10-30-2007, 02:39 PM

ORIGINAL: gacyota

It sounds to me like your alternator was the problem from the beginning. If it were me, I would not give Candian Tire any more of my money. They already boned you once. Find a reputable full service shop to get your alternator replaced.
Yeah I don't like the idea of giving them any more money than I have to but I couldn't get the car to run long enough to get it anywhere else. I'm guessing they didn't even test the alternator the first time & just put in the numbers that should have shown for a working unit. Either way its replaced now so hopefully that's the end of it.

Old 10-31-2007, 08:05 AM

As long as your lights are not flickering anymore, you should be good.