Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

BATTERY HAS 12.7v BUT NO POWER IN THE CAR

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2008, 06:16 PM
Default BATTERY HAS 12.7v BUT NO POWER IN THE CAR

Ill start from the beginning, I have a 1999 Honda Civic EX the past couple of weeks I have been experiencingsporadic start-up issues. When it first started I wouldturn the keyover to the ACC positionand all the lights, radio, and power windows would come on, but no ignition. I went to vaction and when I came back It started right up. I changed the starter, then the last day it started when it started it kind of stumbled to a start. Today I went to start my car andthis time I dont even have any power at all coming into the vehicle, the only thing that happened was whenI had the key in theON position my cigarette lighter car charger lit up but when I connected the phone it didnt signify it was charging.

I got12.7v at the battery, I got a 4.5 reference voltat my ignition switch, as well as the cigarette lighter. I just replaced myignition switch today and still no result. Now whenI tested the switch and the cigarette lighter I only get a .1v reading on my multimeter.

Im wondering what is going on with this #@%ing car, and if there is any other testing that
could be done to diagnose this problem. Could this be an ECU problem I dont know?

If there is neone out there with ne insight please respond back, I would greatly appreciate it.

Old 05-15-2008, 06:26 PM
Recognized HCF Member
Default RE: BATTERY HAS 12.7v BUT NO POWER IN THE CAR

1) Check that the battery connectors and terminals are cleaned well and tight to ensure good electrical contact. Do the same for the ground wire connected to the body frame.

2) Check carefully for blown fuses under the hood and dash.

Old 05-15-2008, 11:46 PM
HCF Member

You my friend sound like you have a phantom short...check you battery wires..starter wires..and altenator. make sure they have good connections. after that it will be wire tracing...i had this problem in m,y z28 camaro 81' it ended up being a shorted headlamp switch.id give you more pointers but im still new to "civics"

Old 05-16-2008, 06:12 AM
HCF Member

have you also had your battery and alternator tested? 12.7 volts is not very high considering that it needs to be >12.0 V with load. It could very easily drop below 12 V which would result in no start.

Old 05-16-2008, 08:25 AM

Ive tried to jumpstart the car and and still nothing inside the car so I dont think its the batteryits raining here today so ill have to check for a short another day. Is there any short cuts when checking for a short in these cars. Like a most likely canidate, or any thing like that I appriciate the feedback you guys have given me just lookin for all possible avenues. Thanks again

Old 05-19-2008, 07:23 AM

Just an update its been a couple days of rain now I go out to my car and previously I must of left my light switch on but didnyt remember cause nothing worked but I go out to my car and my lights are on so I rush to my car and turn th key and it buzzed as I turned my key over and now once again I get a 4.5 refrence volt on my meter so Im pretty convinced now that it is my battery once again thanks foor your feedback I do greatly appreciate it.

Old 05-19-2008, 07:30 AM
Recognized HCF Member

First turn the light switch on and leave it so there is some load on the system. If the lights light up fine it could be the ignition switch. Measure voltage between the battery terminals if less than 12 the battery is discharged or bad. Measure the voltage from each lead battery terminal to the wire clamped to it, should be zero. If you have voltage that is a bad connection. Repeat everywhere else there are connections.

Old 04-22-2023, 05:28 AM

Check ALL grounds, especially to motor. Check power to starter for corrosion. I used a heavy wire from positive to starter. Fired right up. Replaced the corroded cable.

Last edited by lawdawg62; 04-22-2023 at 05:48 AM. Reason: wrong thread
Old 04-22-2023, 05:44 AM

Found the issue. My son replaced ground wire to engine. he placed it in on the chassy side, for a better connection. OOPs!! Learning experience. Running

Old 04-22-2023, 05:45 AM

Thanks for the replies..