Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Battery and Oil light come on, car dies

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2013, 07:55 PM
Default Battery and Oil light come on, car dies

I have a 98 Civic CX 5spd. manual. I finally changed the instrument cluster out for one with a tach. I disconnected the battery to do this so I would have no way of doing something bad with the airbag. Started it up, worked fine for a minute or two, but when I got to a stop and had the clutch depressed and the brake on, the battery and oil light came on and the engine died (no CEL on). I got it back to the house by figuring out that if I was giving it a little gas, that the RPMs were up and it wouldn't die.

I changed back to the original cluster, and that didn't do anything. I checked the battery and alternator, and all of that seems fine. I can hear the fuel pump start when I turn the car on. Checked the oil and it's OK...maybe a little more than needed, but still OK. Any thoughts?

Last edited by windsor; 04-27-2013 at 08:05 PM. Reason: adding info
Old 04-28-2013, 06:35 AM
Recognized HCF Member

After disconnecting the battery on an OBDII, you need to drive and idle for a while to let the computer recalibrate itself.

If the problem persists, it sounds like an IACV problem since the only problem is that the car won't idle.

The oil and battery lights normally come on whenever the key is on but the engine is not turning or is turning very slow.

Old 04-28-2013, 07:19 PM

That was it! Thanks. I've driven it more today and it seems to be idling fine now.