Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Battery/starter/alternator. somethings wrong.

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2006, 11:05 AM
HCF Member
Default Battery/starter/alternator. somethings wrong.

My sister has a 94 accord ex. The battery was shot so I replaced it yesterday with a die hard. This morning I was going to change the oil so I started the car up and drove it around the block to warm it up and then I parked it and went and got everything ready. When it came time to drive the car onto the ramps it wouldnt turn over at all. The same problem we had before. Its not the battery since its a day old. Im thinking alternator? please help.

Old 08-21-2006, 11:12 AM
HCF Member
Default RE: Battery/starter/alternator. somethings wrong.

do the lights or anything come on - there is a fuse that when it goes, you have nothing. in civics it is under the hood in the fuse box. it is on a metal strip with screws on it.

need to check the battery - auto stores have a battery checker - expensive one that is reliable. can check yourself with a volt meter.
did the "bat" or "alt" (dont know which one they call it) come on (the one on the instrument panel).
if not and you get it started (after charging the battery), then take a voltmeter and check the voltage at the battery when the car is running. should see 12 to 13 or little more volts.

Old 08-21-2006, 11:26 AM
HCF Member

the battery is brand new. the car has started 3 times since we put it in. it seems like something is draining the battery. the first time the old one died it was parked over night, nothing was left on, and in the morning it was beyond dead. nothing worked. right now the radio and stuff comes on but the car wont start.

Old 08-21-2006, 01:14 PM

Get it started and drive it somewhere and have both the battery and alternator checked. I know Autozone does it free where i live, dont know about where you live.

Old 08-21-2006, 04:13 PM
Recognized HCF Member

like when you try and crank the car does it make a really fast clicking noise? my moms 94 accord did the same thing and it turned out to be that inside the starter the brasss plates wernt making any contact, so i had to fix that but if thats the case you will be better buying a new starter

Old 08-21-2006, 07:11 PM
HCF Member

i assume that the connections are clean and tight - that is at both at the battery and at the starter and the ground at the block.
need to check for a short but need a charged battery.
first, how many volts at the battery?

Old 08-21-2006, 08:43 PM
Recognized HCF Member

thiers a good chance the alternator is trashed.... usualy if your alternator goes bad it makes your motor and everything run directly off the battery... which in turn can kill the battery if drained to many times...... if one goes bad you definatly need to have the other one checked as well...
BUT before ya trash the battery ua need to have it charged and then checked.. it could be good just drained of power...

ive been thier pleanty of times!

and if both of those are worken good then id say thiers posibly a problem with the starter... but about 90% of the time its either the battery or alternator. cause both of them control your whole car....

Old 08-21-2006, 09:16 PM
HCF Member

this is what you do...........

first off make sure that the plastic caps have been removed from the battery posts,, have seen that quite a few times

second,, make sure like it was adviced that all the connections are tight and clean at the battery ,, no corroded cable ends

make sure you got battery voltage at the starter wire, the one coming from the battery positive cable ,, if so...get a jumper wire and give direct power from battery positive to starter solenoid wire,,,,,,,,if it cranks starter is ok,, ,,,,,,,,,,, if not and all the cables are clean and tight you got starter problem or dead battery ,,

if all that is ok,,,,,,,,,than you need to chk the alternator output ,,,if not ok,, replace as needed ,,,,if ok,,

you need to chk for an electrical drain in the system

it is not a fuse like someone mentioned,,,,,,,,,if you started the car and ran it around and now it wont start, most likely you got a loose cable