Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

best intake??

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2008, 05:53 PM
Default best intake??

So when I HAD my 98 civic i had a full cold air intake. I had the 1.6 non v-tech motor. and it was actually pretty quick. With just that mod and an hks exhaust i was runnin low 16's....So my question is i see alot of guys/girls use the short ram over the full cold air i was wondering which one is the better outta the 2. I kno the difference i just want to know which one is the best for the civic.

Old 12-08-2008, 06:37 PM

A shorter intake (short ram) will generally improve throttle response and may yield a small gain at lower RPMs (in some cases a LOSS of power due to the air drawn into the engine being very hot). A Cold Air Intake will yield higher gains in power due to colder air being 'inhaled'. CAIs will generally produce gains higher in the RPMs. It's all in what you want. If you're a avid drag racer, I'd go with an CAI for higher horsepower gains. If you're big into autocross, I'd opt for a short ram intake for the increased throttle response.

In case you were wondering, that main reason colder air produces more power is because it's denser than hot air (meaning more oxygen in a given volume of air).

Old 12-08-2008, 07:00 PM

what are some small in expensive upgrades that will improve horsepower? like shoter pulleys?? or idk im new to this whole thing but am gettin knowledgeable.

Old 12-08-2008, 07:33 PM

Internal combustion engines require three things to run: air, fuel and spark. Mainly, it's just a glorified air pump. If you increase the amount of air it can [efficiently] move, you will increase power.

I would start my making sure everything is in top shape. Replace or check your fuel filter (including in-tank filter/strainer), spark plugs (NGK V-Power, the cheapies) and wires, distributor cap and rotor, clean the throttle body. If your Civic has high miles, I'd have the injectors professionally cleaned and flow tested(read: NOT just run injector cleaner). After you've determined that your engine runs well, you can start modifying things to increase its efficiency (and boosting power).

The most effective means would be to turbo- or super-charge it, but not all of us have a few thousand dollars laying around and/or time and a place to do such a thing.

If that is your case, I would start by increasing the air flow via intake and exhaust. Which style intake you choose is up to you...just be sure you have a decent filter. Exhaust can be done in stages...most people start with a cat-back system. This replaces everything aft of the catalytic converter, including the muffler. Next could either be a high-flow cat or tubular headers (equal-length 4 into 2 into 1 are optimal).

Generally, OEM fuel injection systems are adequate enough to handle a little extra air flow. You won't gain a ton by just replacing the fuel rail or pressure regulator unless you have the ECU tuned/flashed.

Some thing goes for the ignition system. You can get a little stronger spark by replacing the coil and wires with high-performance versions.

Next would come things like pulleys. I'd get lighter pulleys, but not undersized ones. Smaller pulleys can decrease the working ability of their component (alternator won't charge enough, A/C compressor won't pump refrigerant enough, P/S pump won't pump its fluid enough). Lighter pulleys may not net you any extra power, but they will allow the engine to rev easier/more freely. Same goes for a lightened flywheel.

Well, hope I helped you for a starting point!

Old 12-08-2008, 08:51 PM
HCF Member

you can also look into a throttle body spacer. what that does is creates a cyclone like motion for when air enters when you open the throttle so that when the air enters in the cumbustion chambers and mixes the fuel and air and spark together to create power...

Old 12-08-2008, 09:15 PM
Cat Fuсker

Unless you're going for an independently dyno proven intake don't go for an intake at all.

Old 12-09-2008, 04:29 AM

Originally Posted by munkeewrench23
you can also look into a throttle body spacer. what that does is creates a cyclone like motion for when air enters when you open the throttle so that when the air enters in the cumbustion chambers and mixes the fuel and air and spark together to create power...
Those things don't do anything. Same as the infamous tornado intake insert...

Old 12-09-2008, 04:59 AM
Laced with Sarcasm

This thread needs to get UN-NEWB'D asap or its gettin locked.

If you want to discuss your car, that is fine. But every question asked thus far is easy answered with a simple SEARCH

Old 12-09-2008, 08:15 AM
HCF Member
Old 12-09-2008, 05:08 PM

Now when I had my civic b4 i got run off the road......I had actually beaten a A4. Dont ask me how i just did. I only had a injen intake new wires spark plugs hks exhaust lowered 1.7 inches sway bars...now does that make any sense that i would beat a A4??? plus mine was a 98 how do i keep the *** end from tryin to wrap around still?? I lowered it and put sway bars in the front and back but it still wanted too??!!! any help with that??

Quick Reply: best intake??