Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

BIG PROBLEM AGAIN, motor died in the fast lane ont he highway no powere blew 80amp battery fu......

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2006, 07:52 PM
Default BIG PROBLEM AGAIN, motor died in the fast lane ont he highway no powere blew 80amp battery fu......

ANOTHER PROBLEM, PLEASE HELP!!!, look below for the previous one from a few weeks ago, thanks!

alright, I'm driving onthehighwayheading to Boston, inthe fast lane going 75/80mph then all the sudden my tach goes crazy and I have no power, I putont he hazards and go into the breakdown lane. Checked for all leaking substances, int he engien bay and under the car, couldn't see a thing. BUT the car did make a smell when it died, checked all the plugs and valves, fromw hat I could see they look fine. Getthe car towed tom,y house and notice the 80amp battery fuse is blown. (I blew one of these 2-3 weeks ago) So my mothers off running errands and is going to pick me one up, much thanks to her. The only thing weirdignme out is that when it did die it turned over, and with a blow batt fuse it won't turn over, which it doesn't now. I know I need a new alternator belt whichis slipping a lil on starting the car up, btu idk Ineed help on this. The motor feels super hot, I'm clueless as tow hats wrong seriously, I need you guys help!
(could smell have been because car died and it was in 5th? I checked my oil just now and its real low and blackish, I haven't checked it in 2 weeks, dumb *** me, if it wa sbecause the oil was minimal could my insided be donefor?) PLEASE I REALLY NEED HELP!

UPDATE: I installed a new battery (80amp) fuse, I have power again, but the car won't start. it turns over but nothing? Help>?!!!

alriught,s o I was driving today in 2nd gear, then I hear a loud pop and my car shuts off electrically, but keeps going, I think because I was going downhill and it stayed rolling, so I pull over, don't turn it off and look under the hood and under the car where I think I heard the pop, see nothing,s o I drive to work, park the car out front, turn it off and bress lock on my keys, nothing happens, so I try and start the car, nothing at all, no power. Headlights won't turno on, NO POWERE AT ALL TO ANY OF THE CAR, I have a fairly brand new battery so I doubt thats it. BUT I NEED HELP, I HAVE NO IDEA HOW TO FIX THIS ANYONE HAVE ANY ADVICE< ASAP PLEASE, thanks!!!

Old 06-16-2006, 07:54 PM
HCF Member
Default RE: NO POWER AT ALL TO 99 HATCH, HELP! ASAPx10000

Start looking at fuses and relays. There is a fuse panel under the dash and a bunch of relays in a black box under the hood. But the real problem will not just be finding what blew, but why it did.

Old 06-16-2006, 08:42 PM

checked fuses by battery and ubder steering wheel, nothing blown from waht I can see, tryed to pop start it, didn't work. Only thing that works el;ectronically is horn, hazards, and brake lights. IDK whats wrong, this is bad

Old 06-16-2006, 10:14 PM

UPDATE: I got it home from work, my dad jumped the battery fuse I believe and it started, but if I went into low rpm's the car would die again to no power,s o we had to do this a few tiems as he followed me home. I'm hoping that pop I heard when it first happened was my batter fuse? Wouldn't that wohat would be screwed up seeing as if the car wasn;t revving high enough it'd die because it was running on only battery? ANYOEN CARE TO SHARE INSIGHT, HELP, SIMILAR PROBLEME/STORES? THANKS!

Old 06-18-2006, 12:38 AM
HCF Member

i am not sure if that pop was related.
are there any of the indicator lights on, or the check engine light.
if your alternator goes out, you are running off of the battery.
wont be too much longer that the battery will not be able to keep the car running.
but there should be an "ALT" light on.
need to check the battery to start off the troubleshooting.

Old 06-18-2006, 10:14 AM

got anew battery inline fuse and it seemed to do the job, guess that loud *** pop was an 80amp fuse blowing...

now, why would such a huge *** fuse pop?!

Old 06-18-2006, 11:35 AM
HCF Member

A short somewhere.

Old 06-18-2006, 01:22 PM
HCF Member

You blew your alternator, same thing happened to me, you will have to get your alternater rebuilt, or get a new one, and check the 80amp fuse too. but i blew mine when we were checking if the alternator was making power.... but yeah it is your alternator

Old 06-26-2006, 09:56 PM

ANOTHER PROBLEM, PLEASE HELP!!!

alright, I'm driving onthehighwayheading to Boston, inthe fast lane going 75/80mph then all the sudden my tach goes crazy and I have no power, I putont he hazards and go into the breakdown lane. Checked for all leaking substances, int he engien bay and under the car, couldn't see a thing. BUT the car did make a smell when it died, checked all the plugs and valves, fromw hat I could see they look fine. Getthe car towed tom,y house and notice the 80amp battery fuse is blown. (I blew one of these 2-3 weeks ago) So my mothers off running errands and is going to pick me one up, much thanks to her. The only thing weirdignme out is that when it did die it turned over, and with a blow batt fuse it won't turn over, which it doesn't now. I know I need a new alternator belt whichis slipping a lil on starting the car up, btu idk Ineed help on this. The motor feels super hot, I'm clueless as tow hats wrong seriously, I need you guys help!
(could smell have been because car died and it was in 5th? I checked my oil just now and its real low and blackish, I haven't checked it in 2 weeks, dumb *** me, if it wa sbecause the oil was minimal could my insided be donefor?) PLEASE I REALLY NEED HELP!

UPDATE: I installed a new battery (80amp) fuse, I have power again, but the car won't start. it turns over but nothing? Help>?!!!

Old 06-26-2006, 10:46 PM
HCF Member

are you throwing any check engine lights

Quick Reply: BIG PROBLEM AGAIN, motor died in the fast lane ont he highway no powere blew 80amp battery fu......