Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Brake Pedal Squeak and Cabin Filter Question

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2010, 07:48 AM
Default Brake Pedal Squeak and Cabin Filter Question

Hey, I've got an 04 Civic LX Sedan, bought some replacement cabin filters, how do you get the stoppers out of the glove box? are you supposed to push or pull them from the inside or push them from the outside? I don't want to break them which is what I normally do when I don't know the proper way. Also, when I push down on my brake pedal there is 1 little click noise and then when I release the brake pedal there is a squeak... how could I troubleshoot and fix this?

Old 08-17-2010, 05:45 PM
HCF Member

the click you hear is likely one of 2 things.
1) brake light switch (not likely because you shouldn't hear it), or
2) shift-lock solenoid (automatics trans only)
The click is a switch inside the automatic shifter that allows you to take the vehicle out of park ONLY when your foot is on the brake. I'm not sure what could be the cause of the squeak, maybe the brake pedal pivot needs a shot of lube?

I'm not sure about the glovebox on the 2004, on my 97 you open the glovebox normally. Then you gently flex the sides in so that the stoppers clear. At this point the whole thing flops completely open. Usually this is followed by a mild curse as everything inside the glovebox is now conveniently located all over the passenger side floor

From there you are on your own, although it should be fairly clear about how to change out the cabin air filter