Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

A/C compressor clutch on '98 EX

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2008, 09:21 AM
Default A/C compressor clutch on '98 EX

Hi all,

This weekend, the A/C compressor clutch in my girlfriend's '98 Civic EX committed suicide. Grinding noise, followed by smoke pouring out. Best I could do on the side of the road was to cut the A/C belt and pull the relay, and continue on our way. The A/C blew cold up until this happened, so I'm thinking (hoping) that it's just the clutch.

I haven't crawled up under the car yet to check how much room there is, but does anyone know if the compressor clutch can be removed without removing the A/C compressor? Any tricks or tips that I should know before I try to tackle this job?

Thank you!

Old 08-18-2008, 09:36 AM
Recognized HCF Member

Yes you can change the clutch without recharging the refrigerant. Lift the front of the car and remove the bottom plastic shield and work on it from underneath. The compressor can be unbolted and lowered down for better access without disconnecting the refrigerant lines.

But first check that the compressor is not seized. The front plate of the clutch drives the compressor internals, and it should turn freely. You may need to remove the plate and just turn the compressor shaft if the pulley is way off kilter and binding on the plate. Also check that pressure remains in the system, and the shaft seal doesn't leak, an overheated clutch bearing can melt the shaft seal. Either of these problems will require replacing the whole compressor.

When replacing the compressor, standard practices for opening the refrigerant system and flushing or replacing other parts need to be followed. Do not just slap on a new compressor to replace a seized one, it will fail again.