Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

A/C Compressor Seized

Old 05-29-2007, 07:14 PM
Default A/C Compressor Seized

95 honda civic coupe ex vtech - no engine modifications - factory orignial

Well i have started to work on my own car. I have the honda service manual to refer to anything. My problem is the other day my compressor started smokin and you could smell burning something. Now my car won't start. I am wondering since the compressor burned out that it has locked the belts can't move resulting in failure to start. The worst thing to do is tow a car to a shop. I would like to know if i just remove the belt if this has any problems with using the car. I have attempted to loosen the belt to remove but after loosening the tension bolt still not able to remove the belt.

Would cutting the belt out be a viable solution since it has apparently burned under the strain. Also, what are the reprocussions of just removing the belt from the system. Would like to continue using this car for the gas mileage but don't want to pay 1200+ just for a/c right now.

let me know if you need any additional information.

Old 05-30-2007, 08:49 PM
HCF Member
Default RE: A/C Compressor Seized

MAKE SURE THE BELT IS ONLY POWERING THE A/C

If so you can cut it.

IIRC, it is three belts, one for A/C, two for Power Steering, and three for alternator.