Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A/C Compressor Wont switch on

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2006, 09:29 PM
Default A/C Compressor Wont switch on

Hey guys I have a 1998 Civic HX that I just recently bought thinking that the A/C just needed a recharge. Well to my dismay I finally figured out m y A/C wont get cold since the compressor aint spinning. I checked the fuse and the relay both ok, I know when I press the A/C switch the ECU is getting the message because the idle raises in anticipation of the compressor kicking on (but it doesnt). I was just wondering where I should start looking to next. The car has only 40K miles on it and the tranny has recently been replaced (any electrical stuff for the a/c floating around there?) . Any help apreciated, thankyou.

Charles
ps. the A/C system is charged at the correct leval

Old 05-29-2006, 10:32 PM
Default RE: A/C Compressor Wont switch on

there should only be one wire for the compressor that connects near the fan.check and make sure it is hooked up.are you sure the switch is good? if so it could be the clutch on the compressor.also make sure that when you turn the **** to the cold position that the cable is moving the the thing at the end of it . i had a problem with that on my crx i have to reach under the dash and move it maually to make it blow cold my **** is stripped. i hope this helps

Old 05-29-2006, 10:47 PM

I double check that wire from the compressor to near the fan but im pretty sure its intact. The switch in the interior has to be good, light comes ons when I press A/C and the engine reacts like it is waiting for the compressor to kick on. The cold hot slider is working, I can feel the difference when I move it and I can hear the blend door move. Hopefully its just that wire, cause I dont hear the clutch even try to kick in (you know that click sound) so I am assumeing it isnt getting the power. Oh well I gotta get to bed and tomorow morning ill start playing around seriously.

Thanks
Charles

Old 05-29-2006, 11:36 PM

http://www.automedia.com/Air/Conditi...cr20030201a2/1 check this out it may help

Old 05-30-2006, 11:26 AM
Cat Fuсker

jump the wire going to the compressor to check if the clutch is good. If it engages look elsewhere

Old 05-30-2006, 11:40 AM

I may be wrong about this but im pretty sure that the compressor will not engage or turn on unless there is so much pressure in the system so it could be that thet system is low on 134a.

Old 05-30-2006, 12:43 PM

I think I found the problem. The fuse for the AC clutch and Condensor fan keeps on blowing. When I put a new fuse in the clutch kicked in however the condensor fan didnt turn on then the fuse blew a minute later. So do you guys think it is safe to assume I need a new condensor fan?

Thanks
Charles

Old 05-30-2006, 04:30 PM

Well as always I learn the hard way. It wasnt the motor, apparantly the smart person who put the new tranny in was in alittle rush and bent the shroud up so it was interfearing with the fand blade. 3 hours later, alot of cussing and sweating, alittle finessing with a hammer, and all is well. Once I go out and get a couple more fuses it should be fixxed

Charles