Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

A/C does not work.

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2008, 03:59 PM
Default A/C does not work.

The A/C does not work in my civic. It blows out air but its Hot. It does not come out cold. I first thought it just needed freon. But some people tell me it might need the pump. Any ideas on what it might be? Or how i can check to see what it is

Old 07-07-2008, 05:57 PM
Default RE: A/C does not work.

I have the same problem! I just decided to get it checked at Firestone because i knew the R134a level was off, so they fixed the level of that during the a/c check up. I was told it's my compressor and expansion valve that are causing the problem.

Anyway, does it ever blow cold? i.e. at night when it's cool out, etc.?
If it does, you might just have a weak compressor. That's what mine does. In that case you would need a new compressor.

Anyway, take it to get the A/C checked out, because if your freon level is off, don't use one of those kits unless you have a manifold gauge that can read both the High and Low pressure sides. Don't get suckered into the $100 evacuate and recharge, just get them to fill it to the proper level. If your freon is low, you have a leak somewhere, or in my case have tampered with the freon level.

This will all be covered in the A/C check and the check will either be free or cost like $20. (The new compressor or anything won't be free though if you need it, and I recommend doing it yourself if you are comfortable working on your car. They will charge you out the ying-yang to replace your compressor. They wanted to charge me $1200 to replace my compressor and expansion valve... I told them no way. It'll cost me $200 to do it myself.) Also, anytime you open up your A/C system to replace a component, you need to replace your accumulator/dryer. It goes bad once exposed to air.