Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

A/C problems

Old 04-18-2019, 05:57 PM
Default A/C problems

Hey everybody! I'm new to this forum and may not know exactly where to post my questions.
My problem is with a/c blowing hot air occasionally. When it works it blows out nice cold air, and then without warning starts blowing hot air. I have checked and replaced relays, checked fuse, fans come on even if compressor does not engage. I have checked all connections for continuity all the way to the field coil, loosened the green wire (ground, I believe) that is connected to compressor and moved it around in case it was a dirty contact. I get an OHMs reading if I touch my volt meter probe to battery ground and the other to the field coil wire going into coil. Does this sound like a bad clutch? Field coil? Adjust gap between clutch and field coil? The clutch does move freely if I try to turn it and does not make any squeaking noises.