Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

camshaft Timing marks

Old 09-19-2010, 01:39 PM
Default camshaft Timing marks

Ok im stumped.. Been looking and i keep commng up with the same pictures. The crankshaft timing marks are 2 marks plus 1 above on the cover? and then on the crankshaft im looking for 2 marks with 3 off to the right of those ones? I went and got a timming light so i could time teh kids 1994 civic 1.5l and none of those marks are even close to being near the cover marks? If thats the case this cars timming is so far out it shouldent be running? or my timing light does now work properly with this car. THis is my style of light http://www.canadiantire.ca/AST/brows....jsp?locale=en

Anyone have some good pics of what im looking for?

I also jumped teh 2 wire connection becide teh glovebox.. Im stumped

Old 09-19-2010, 11:49 PM
Chubby Chaser
Old 09-20-2010, 06:29 AM
Recognized HCF Member

After you put the jumper in place, the CEL should come on steady when you restart the engine to check the timing. If it doesn't come on, the ECU is not in test mode (jumper not making good contact). If the CEL starts blinking out trouble codes, resolve the codes first.

Someone may have put the crank pulley on without the key, which will make the timing marks out of whack. Check this by removing spark plug #1 and use a rod (the car's dipstick will do) to probe the top of the piston while you turn the engine by hand to true TDC. Then check the marks on the pulley, it should be on the single mark.

Old 09-20-2010, 05:56 PM

Originally Posted by mk378
After you put the jumper in place, the CEL should come on steady when you restart the engine to check the timing. If it doesn't come on, the ECU is not in test mode (jumper not making good contact). If the CEL starts blinking out trouble codes, resolve the codes first.

Someone may have put the crank pulley on without the key, which will make the timing marks out of whack. Check this by removing spark plug #1 and use a rod (the car's dipstick will do) to probe the top of the piston while you turn the engine by hand to true TDC. Then check the marks on the pulley, it should be on the single mark.
Ok that could be the trouble between i think im looking at the wrong timming marks the cel is not on steady it blinks out codes...

Old 09-21-2010, 06:07 AM
Recognized HCF Member

Make note of the codes. Then if the CEL does not come on during normal driving, they should be old codes and you can just clear them. To clear codes disconnect the battery for a few seconds with the key off. If the CEL does come on during normal driving you need to find and repair that problem first. Merely having the timing wrong will not cause the CEL to come on.

Old 09-22-2010, 06:39 AM

Originally Posted by mk378
Make note of the codes. Then if the CEL does not come on during normal driving, they should be old codes and you can just clear them. To clear codes disconnect the battery for a few seconds with the key off. If the CEL does come on during normal driving you need to find and repair that problem first. Merely having the timing wrong will not cause the CEL to come on.
Im thinkng the cel is on because i had the firing order mixed up the other day. will find out today. No cel on when driving so hopfully its nothing.