Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Can't remove key from ignition. (intermittent)

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2007, 11:41 PM
Default Can't remove key from ignition. (intermittent)

I'm new here, nice to meet all of you.I should warn you, I'm definitely no car guy. I'm pretty useless when it comes to this stuff. but I'll try to be descriptive to save headaches.

I have a 1991 Civic hatchback with about 248,000 km on it. automatic transmission.

For the last couple of weeks it's been giving me a lot of grief when I park it. as I go from drive to neutral to reverse to park I can feel it going into gear properly, but the light on the dash indicating the gear doesn't light up above drive.

because of this, the shift lock release doesn't engage when the break is depressed (if I wanted to drive away again I'd have to release it manually to go into drive) and it doesn't release the key from the ignition. These both always happen at the same time.

After a little bit of doodling with the lock release by the gearshift with a spare key, the indicator usually lights up and it releases the key like there's no problem.

As far as I know it's not the ignition itself, in the sense that nothing is jammed or binding. there's just a process it's following.... and it's missing steps.

if anybody could help me out I'd really appreciate it.

-Justin

Old 01-16-2007, 12:20 AM
HCF Member
Default RE: Can't remove key from ignition. (intermittent)

How about when you're driving the car itself, like up a hill or something? Does it seem to shift gears fine? 248,xxx km is not really that much on the engine but maybe it could be a problem with your transmission.

Old 01-16-2007, 12:26 AM

as far as I can tell the car drives fine, it even goes into gear fine when it's having the problem. the little light just doesn't seem tothink it's in gear.

Old 01-16-2007, 09:50 AM

seems like the park sensor might be buggered in the transmission?

I know mine will sometimes do it, but bringing it back to neutral from park and back to park normally fixes mine