Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

car cuts off (timing belt?)

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2006, 12:09 PM
Recognized HCF Member
Default RE: car cuts off (timing belt?)

wow soundslike all kinds of trouble with your car man

Old 08-05-2006, 05:06 PM

Could be your main relay. The solder joints are known for coming apart causing the car to shut off. I would pull the main relay and check it.

Old 08-05-2006, 05:28 PM
HCF Member

just to add to what natbnldr posted:

http://techauto.tripod.com/mainrelay.htm

can do this with no cost - well, at least i did except for a little solder. it is tricky to do, though.

Old 08-06-2006, 09:19 AM

I'll give it a shot ans see if it helps. I'm pretty good with a soldering iron. I still think it has something to do with when my car was stolen and the ignition broke.

Old 08-06-2006, 09:50 AM
HCF Member

may be; seems like the only thing to do then is whenever is happens to immediately take a meter and check for voltage at the coil. cant remember for sure, but i think you isolate the positive wire inside the dist at the coil,and turn the key to ON and check the pos and negative lead on ground.

Old 08-06-2006, 12:06 PM
HCF Member

You really should have replaced the water pump when u did the T belt.

Old 08-06-2006, 04:43 PM

I have the same exact car, green 4dr ex sedan with no mods. The same exact thing is happening with my car, dying out of nowhere or just anywhere, going 75 on the highway and then dying (door locks pop) then starting up all by itself again (catching a spark I suppose?). It started about 4 weeks ago, I changed the distributor cap, rotor, wires, plugs and it didn't die for about 4 days after that. Then on day 5 it died like 4 times on the same day! Took it to the mechanic, changed the distributor, worked for about a day then died again. Went back to change the distributor again, just in case the rebuilt one was faulty as well, same crap! So I changed back to my original distributor and its been good for 4 days again! I just don't know what to do anymore, everything in the car is running perfectly! But this @%$#@ is sooooo mind boggling, I sympathize as well as empathize with you. God damn! I am still kinda pissed cuz I can't find a solution.

Old 08-06-2006, 05:22 PM
HCF Member

I would move towards fuel delivery. Change out the fuel filter, clean the injectors and the intake manifold with Sea Foam, get some new spark plug wires and maybe some new plugs and a new or cleaned air filter. If youve determined you ARE getting spark, then you just need fuel and air, so check those systems

Old 08-06-2006, 10:43 PM
HCF Member

is this throttle body or port

Old 08-07-2006, 10:24 PM

I'm getting the same behavior tonight, after I replaced a fuse and then let the hood slam (my hands are bad, but jeez what a bad thing to do to the car).

What could have been knocked loose that would cause it to die at the red light now? Or what did I break. I'm pretty ignorant when it comes to cars (this is my girlfriend's Civic), and I don't know where to look except at the top layer of connections..

Quick Reply: car cuts off (timing belt?)