Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

car cuts off (timing belt?)

Old 08-07-2006, 10:53 PM
Default RE: car cuts off (timing belt?)

hm, that link that fglaustin posted also leads to a page about the ignition causing what the authors claim are pretty close symptoms:

The dash will go dark when it dies (no warning lights, no shift indicator, no electrical).
Car stalls then can be started, then stalls after driving or idling for a few seconds or minutes.
Car runs fine when the key slightly held at start position or part way between start and ON position. In rare cases, this symptom is similar to a bad main relay.
Ignition (electrical) switch is hot.
that's from their home page. here's the page about the switch:

http://techauto.te.funpic.org/ignitionswitch.php

Old 08-11-2006, 10:16 PM

OK, my car is fine now, I still have no idea why but this is the list of things I did.

Changed distributor, distributor cap, wires, sparkplugs, gas filter and air filter. It has been good for 7 days without a problem. I hope this helps.

Old 08-11-2006, 11:19 PM

I had the same symptoms you just mentioned. The car cutting off and the check engine light kept coming on. It turns out that the O2 sensor (before catalyic converter) was bad. I changed it and had no more problems.

Hit the wrong button. Response supposed to be towards 98EX

Old 08-12-2006, 12:25 PM
HCF Member

ORIGINAL: VTECivic95

a bad motor mount would definately cause the timing belt to go. !
ABSOLUTELY FALSE.......
a bad motor mount has nothing to do with the timing belt ......

and guys a word of advice......start DIAGNOSING before you start replacing parts and playing the guessing game ... you could save you A LOT OF MONEY

Old 09-01-2006, 05:07 PM

PROPS TO MIKAH!! I've been away for a few weeks but I've read up all the replys. That link had all my symptoms summed up perfectly and I find out it could be covered under a recall!! I feel so stupid because when I originally replaced the ignition I only replaced the lock mechanism not the electrical contacts. Also All the parts I replaced (motor mount {was broke}, timing belt tune up stuff) were maintenance items anyway so I did do some diagnosing before repair (Deserthonda).

Old 09-06-2006, 12:20 AM
HCF Member

im sorry to say that it your ignition switch. its the white switch behind your ignition key. your car got stolen your ignition was played with. the samething happend to my civic. i also changed out everything you listed. itsprobably a good thing that you did, but the switch is the problem. the part is like 40.00 at napa auto parts. its also easy to change. good luck.

Old 12-30-2012, 03:32 PM
Default Bad Oxygen Sensor does not make car shut off

I just changed the oxygen sensor on my CIVIC and I can guarantee you a bad oxygen sensor does not make your car shut off. But you should change it if it is bad.