Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Car shutting off - check engine light

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2007, 02:43 PM
Default Car shutting off - check engine light

Hey, i was wondering if anyone can tell me what could possibly be wrong. At first my car wouldent start for a couple minutes and a couple tries, and then eventually it does. After a couple seconds of being started I begin to drive and it aburptly shuts off, with a check engine light. For a couple of tries again, it will not start, until it finally does again, then shuts off again - check engine light again. I've repeated this process a couple of times. Tried adding some oil because it was a bit low - no help. I'm not sure if im going crazy but it sounds like as it idles, a small jump in the noise up and down. Its running at number 1 to 1.5 on the RPM gauge. Any ideas?

Thanks in advance.

Old 12-20-2007, 03:04 PM
HCF Member
Default RE: Car shutting off - check engine light

It might have to do with spark, but there's quite a few possibilities in this area, too many to narrow down unless civics have some common problem like this that i've never heard of.
Just rent out or buy a machine that tells you the engine codes, plug it into your ECU and see what code you get back, that way you'll know why your check engine light is on and therefore most likely solve the problem.

Old 12-20-2007, 03:08 PM

I'm no car guy..when you say spark, do you mean spark plugs? Should I head down to a auto store and replace them all before towing this thing out of here to a shop?

Old 12-20-2007, 03:19 PM
Recognized HCF Member

What model year?

While you are trying to start it and it's cranking but not starting, is the check engine light on or off?

No this is not something the spark plugs will do. It could be other electrical parts that drive the spark plugs, but not the plugs themselves.

Edit: By the way these symptoms will happen almost exactly like you describe when you're running out of gas, but of course you've already considered that, right?

Old 12-20-2007, 03:24 PM

Its a 92 VX hatchback. Or I think its VX anyways. Nobody can really tell me for sure, because its some "rare version made in cananda, which only a small number were made".

But I replaced the 02 sensor a year ago, so I doubt its that. I bought the car at 100k and now its 40k, think it could be the timing belt? Bought it from a dealership.

You said wiring. Should I change the wires? http://www.partsamerica.com/ProductL...04&PTSet=A Looking online the kits at advanced auto parts are 60 dollars..is this something i can install myself being one who knows very little about cars?

Old 12-20-2007, 03:25 PM

Yeah, got a bit less then a half gas tank.

Also, since i bought the car on really hot days it would start then shut off, and wouldent start again for a good couple minutes, but THAT had no check engine light, so i'm guessing, unrelated?

Old 12-20-2007, 03:34 PM

Now sometimes it shuts off without a check engine light...ughhhh.

Old 12-20-2007, 03:35 PM
Recognized HCF Member

Not starting on hot days is the classic main relay problem. It may have gotten worse now so it won't start at all. Turn the key on, but not all the way to start. The check engine light should come on and then go out after 2 seconds. While the light is on you should hear the fuel pump running under the back seat (it's not very loud, you need to be in a quiet location). If the light comes on but stays on and/or the fuel pump does not run, resolder or replace the main relay.

Also on that car it has an OBD1 system which means you don't need a special tool to read the problem codes out of the computer. The procedure is written up elsewhere here. That would be the next step, but rule out the main relay first.

Old 12-20-2007, 03:40 PM

I'm going to try this anyways, but you mentioned now it wont start at all, but again the car is starting, just for a couple of seconds or minutes, then turning off.

Old 12-20-2007, 03:48 PM
Recognized HCF Member

Problems that come and go like that can be maddening. I really think it's your main relay especially with the ongoing not starting when hot.

The main relay is located inside the car, under the dashboard, on the side panel above the lever you pull to open the hood. It's a box about 2 x 3 inches with an 8-wire plug in the bottom. Use a 10mm socket and take the mounting bolt out from the top of it and let the relay hang down by the wires so you can reach it while you're at the wheel. Now tap on the relay and see if that can immediately make the car start or die depending on what it was doing before. If so you have a bad relay.

Quick Reply: Car shutting off - check engine light