Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Car still wont start.

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2011, 02:18 PM
Default Car still wont start.

Civic 97 ex auto

so i've been having this annoying starting problem, but recently my mechanic found the problem. It was my fuel pressure regulator i fixed it last week monday and it was working fine. I was now able to turn my car on without waiting 30 minutes for it to start. Before the new regulator i was not able to turn my car on if i just went to the simple corner store. But today i went to my gas station to put gas and the problem reoccured.i filled up and it acted like it was gonna start but it did not. I dont know what it could be. but i have a feeling it might be fuel pump. Everything starting wise works fine (spark plugs and wires, alternator, starter,battery etc. Im getting fed up.

any ideas?

Old 10-26-2011, 07:29 AM
HCF Member

Mike,

I would advise testing the pressure of your fuel pump. Here's the proper procedure on how to perform this test:

The fuel pressure should be checked at the fuel rail or at the fuel feed line for the fuel rail. The fuel pressure is checked with the engine started, thus the fuel pressure gauge must not interrupt the flow of fuel to the fuel rail and the fuel injectors.

To attach a fuel pressure gauge to the pressurized fuel loop requires the use of an adapter that is capable of safely withstanding the fuel system fuel pressure.

Warning: Checking the fuel system fuel pressure requires the use of an inline fuel pressure gauge with the engine running. Do not perform this check if suitable test equipment and fuel fittings are not available. The fuel system operates under pressure, if any fuel leakage is noticed while performing this check STOP immediately and do not continue until the source of the leak is resolved. Do not perform this test near sources of heat, spark, or flames. This test must be performed in a well-ventilated area.

Caution: The fuel injection system remains under pressure, even after the engine has been turned OFF. The fuel system pressure MUST BE relieved before disconnecting any fuel lines. Failure to do so may result in fire and/or personal injury.

1) Remove the fuel filler cap and relieve the residual fuel pressure.

2) Attach a suitable fuel pressure gauge to the fuel injection fuel loop as follows:
  • Remove the banjo bolt from the fuel filter outlet and install the pressure gauge using a suitable fitting to temporarily substitute for the banjo bolt and supply fuel to the gauge and the fuel rail.

3) Remove and plug the vacuum line for the fuel pressure regulator located near the end of the fuel rail. (refer to the diagram below)

4) Start the engine and note the fuel pressure. With the pressure regulator vacuum hose disconnected and plugged, the fuel pressure should register as follows:
  • 38–46 psi (260–310 kPa)

If the engine wont start, turn on the ignition switch ON, wait two seconds, then turn off the ignition switch OFF. Turn the ignition switch back ON again and read the fuel pressure.

5) If the fuel pressure is higher than specification check for a pinched or restricted fuel return hose or line.

6) If the fuel pressure is lower than the specification check for a damaged fuel pressure regulator, clogged fuel filter, fuel feed line or a leak in the fuel feed line. If the fuel pressure regulator, fuel feed lines, and fuel pump are ok, replace the fuel pump and fuel filter.

Once the test is complete, perform the following:

1) Carefully remove the fuel pressure gauge and test fittings.

2) Install the removed fasteners using new sealing washers.

3) Install the fuel filler cap.

4) Start the engine and check for any fuel leaks, and repair as necessary.

*diagram courtesy of hondapartsnow.com; all rights reserved

Old 10-26-2011, 04:21 PM

Thank you soo much

Old 10-27-2011, 08:22 PM

Techtalk, Great write-up on fuel pressure testing procedure.

Thought I'd just chime in with another idea. Mike, have you by chance changed the fuel pump (aka "main") relay? Technically known as the PGM-FI (fuel injection) relay, it's a common problem in Civics, especially during warmer weather. The symptom you described (experiencing the starting problem after just a quick trip to the corner store/gas station) makes the main relay seem like a possibility -- especially if it has never been replaced.

Does your car start okay when the engine is cold, like after it's been sitting several hours or overnight? And then the starting trouble occurs during "hot" starts, like after you've been driving around town, making short trips here and there? I would consider the main relay as a possible culprit. It's located under the driver's side dash, about 2" long, 1.5" wide, and 2" high, with 7 prongs. Probably gray color, and if you've still got the OEM relay in there, it'll say "MITSUBA". The relay can either completely go bad, and the car will not start at all, or it can gradually go bad and cause intermittent starting difficulty, with poor conductivity occuring especially when heat (warm weather) affects its internal electronics.

Also wondered whether you might have a leaking injector o-ring seal by chance? Sometimes that can cause starting/hesistation issues as well.

Good luck with your fuel system testing, and I hope you find the problem soon!

Old 10-28-2011, 09:24 AM

Yes i have changed the main relay...that was the first thing i changed...

and yes it only happens when im driving around here and there..but if its sitting there for a couple hours it will start fine.