Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

CEL from O2 Sensor

Old 05-04-2008, 02:10 PM
Default CEL from O2 Sensor

I know there are hundreds of posts on the o2 sensor but, I can't find something with my particular problem. I have a 2000 Honda Civic EX. My CEL came on about three months ago. I drove with it on because there seemed to be no problems with the car at all. I finally got it checked out and it pointed to the secondary o2 sensor (one furthest back). I replaced it with a new BOSCH(spl) sensor but CEL still stays on. I unplugged the battery to resart the computer several times for more than 10 minutes with both terminals unplugged. It seemed to turn off for about 5-10 miles but comes back on. I thought there might be a leak in the exhaust but I dont hear anything coming from the exhaust and I cant feel a leak either. Again, there doesn't seem to be any noticable problem with the car except for the CEL and purhaps maybe, a small difference in gas mileage. Any ideas would be much appriciated.

Old 05-04-2008, 02:21 PM
gwl
HCF Member
Default RE: CEL from O2 Sensor

I would recheck the CEL. Did you replace it with an aftermarket sensor? If the CEL point to the same sensor, I would suggest a replacement for a new one.

Old 05-04-2008, 02:24 PM

I did check the CEL and it pointed to the same sensor after I replaced it. If Bosch is aftermarket than yes, that's what I used. Are they no good?

Old 05-04-2008, 02:29 PM

Also, I thought that it wasnet the new sensor for this reason: Before I replaced the original I unplugged the battery to reset the computer. After I plugged it back up and started the car, the CEL came on imediately. After I replaced the sensor, reset the computer, and turned the car on, the CEL didnt come on until several miles down the road.

Old 05-04-2008, 04:18 PM
Recognized HCF Member

The service manual details how to check whether the secondary O2 sensor circuit is faulty:

http://hondatech.info/downloads/Auto/Manuals/Civic/

Old 05-04-2008, 06:19 PM
gwl
HCF Member

I think I had the same problem before. It was awhlie ago, I thought the downstream sensor was bad but it turn to be the primary sensor. I even had an Accord that didn't throw out a CEL and it failed smog because of emissions. It turn out to be the primary sensor that was barely working.

Old 05-05-2008, 05:37 PM

I tested both sensors with a volt meter before I did anything and the primary sensor got the right reading and the secondary didnt get anything, so I figured it wasnt that. Could it be a leak? Fuel filter? Gas cap issue? Another bad secondary sensor?

Old 05-05-2008, 05:44 PM
Recognized HCF Member

What specific CEL code is being thrown?

Old 05-05-2008, 05:46 PM
Recognized HCF Member

If you get a varying voltage on the output wire of your secondary sensor but the computer still throws the "sensor" code, your catalytic converter may be bad.

Old 05-05-2008, 05:58 PM
gwl
HCF Member

You should at least get a source voltage, if not check the wiring harness leading to the sensor.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: CEL from O2 Sensor