Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Changed spark wires now can't turn over

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2011, 11:33 AM
HCF Member
Default Changed spark wires now can't turn over

Okay, what stupid thing could I have done?

I bought new spark plug wires. Changed them one at a time, now the car won't turn over. Confused, I put the old ones back on the same way. Some thing.

I looked in the Haynes Manual, and it had a different firing order. Changes them according to manual and sounded worse. So I looked up the firing order for my 1.5 engine on google, which happened to be like how they were. Still nothing.

Can anyone suggest anything?

Old 11-07-2011, 12:22 PM

Are you replacing the plugs in addition to the wires? How about the distributor cap and rotor? If they are not being replaced, have you inspected them for damage/wear?

What engine do you have?

Old 11-07-2011, 12:30 PM
HCF Member

I replaced the plugs last week. Car ran better, but still a little rough. So I replaced the fuel pump and filter. Ran even better, but still not great. Evened out my idling but still felt it misfiring a little. So today I wanted to change the wires and next week get to the distributor and rotor. I haven't done anything to the D and R.

Old 11-07-2011, 12:49 PM
HCF Member

I replaced the plugs last week. Car ran better, but still a little rough. So I replaced the fuel pump and filter. Ran even better, but still not great. Evened out my idling but still felt it misfiring a little. So today I wanted to change the wires and next week get to the distributor and rotor. I haven't done anything to the D and R.

Old 11-07-2011, 12:53 PM
HCF Member

WTF??? Double post.

I just know it's a 1.5 16 valve.

Okay, I took apart the distributor. There's corrosion, even on the cover inside. Must be copper. It's green corrosion with white spots as well.

Now I get to bike to O'Reily's.

Old 11-07-2011, 02:01 PM
HCF Member

Damn, changed the cap and rotor. Same thing. It's acting like a woman. Almost there to get started, but just not quite enough.

Old 11-07-2011, 02:06 PM
HCF Member

Without stepping on the gas. When I turn the key, the starter sounds great for like one turn. Then it acts like a lot of power is being drained from the battery. Sometimes I can hear the exhaust kick on with a poof.

Old 11-07-2011, 02:31 PM
Recognized HCF Member

That will happen when the wires are in the wrong order. A cylinder firing at the wrong time turns the engine backwards against the starter instead of forward.

Just to be clear, the order is 1-3-4-2 going clockwise looking at the outside of the cap. Cylinder #1 is furthest from the distributor and 4 is the closest. Position #1 on the cap is one of the two on the side toward the back of the car. Usually there is a mark on the cap to designate number 1.

Old 11-07-2011, 02:54 PM
HCF Member

Yeah, I got that. Out of curiosity I pulled out the wire plugs and tried to start the car. To hear what it would sound like, knowing it wouldn't start. Sounds the exact same.

I will recheck the firing order of what I have.

Sucks, because I was going to change these, get it re-timed and an alignment done tomorrow. This is the first car I really worked on and was nervous about the fuel pump, but a job that requires no tools is where I failed.

Old 11-07-2011, 03:04 PM
HCF Member

http://www.google.com/search?tbm=isc...2AWi3-jMDQ#i=5

I have been going off this diagram. Like what you said. It keeps cranking but doesn't start. Hmmmm.....

Quick Reply: Changed spark wires now can't turn over