Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Check engine issue, gas cap?

Old 11-14-2009, 12:01 PM
Default Check engine issue, gas cap?

Hi,
I've searched the forum for check engine light issues but I haven't found what I was looking for.

It a Civic 2004, DX coupe.

I've had my car for about 1½ month. In fact, I should say half a month. The car has spent the first month of ownership at the dealer for transmission issues. Happily, these issues are gone and my transmission has been rebuilt under warranty.

During the first few days of ownership, when I got to refuel the car, my check engine light came on about 10 minutes after I did so. I looked in the owners manual and read that it could be my gas cap being not tightened enough. So I tightened it properly (even though I thought it was tightened enough), and then reset the code by disconnecting the battery for a few seconds. It then turned off. So, the car then went to the dealership as I mentioned for 1 month. When I received it one week ago, the light was still off, so I concluded that the supposedly problem was gone.

Then I refuelled yesterday, being really careful to tighten the gas cap more than enough.

Today, while driving on the highway, the light came on again... I don't want to reset the code that time since I don't want to bury the problem. I'd rather solve it!

It might help you if told you that my car runs great with no apparent engine problem. It starts right away when I turn on the key. The idle is fine. The engine is responsive and as far as I can tell, the gas consumption has not gone bad but still, I want to get rid of the problem.

Could it be a simple bad gas cap?

Thank you in advance

Last edited by izotop; 11-14-2009 at 12:07 PM.
Old 11-14-2009, 02:13 PM
Chubby Chaser

stop at a autozone and have them pull the cel code then tell us what it is

Old 11-14-2009, 02:33 PM

Originally Posted by 94civichatchback
stop at a autozone and have them pull the cel code then tell us what it is

Yeah, well, that's definitely what I would do if I lived in the USA.. but in Canada, or at least here in Montreal, we don't have Autozone. I stopped at Napa today, and they don't offer that service.

Old 11-14-2009, 02:44 PM
Sir Banned-a-lot

we have a napa around here too... a bunch of old people who dont like imports.. anyhow, pull the carpet away from the ecu (passenger side floor), and there should be a blinking light.. count how many blinks its giving you when you start the car. then post it here.

or you can do it the ghetto way.. buy an obd scanner, plug it in, see what code it is, and return it XD

Old 11-14-2009, 04:29 PM
HCF Member

^lmao. funny that you say that. i did the same ****. bought it at walmart amd then returned it. but it is a good tool to have.

Old 11-14-2009, 05:00 PM
Sir Banned-a-lot

lol, hard times man, this economy sucks but yeah, back on topic, just get a obd scanner somehow.. ask a neighbor or buy one.

Old 11-14-2009, 05:50 PM
Chubby Chaser

Originally Posted by supersize
we have a napa around here too... a bunch of old people who dont like imports.. anyhow, pull the carpet away from the ecu (passenger side floor), and there should be a blinking light.. count how many blinks its giving you when you start the car. then post it here.

or you can do it the ghetto way.. buy an obd scanner, plug it in, see what code it is, and return it XD
the blinking light on the ecu is only for obd0 civics( 88-91)
another lesson learned young one ...lol.

but that is a good idea on buying the scanner using it then return it,
get your cel codes pulled and it will tell you why, then you can fix it, instead of guessing and wasting money.

Old 11-15-2009, 05:32 AM

Alright, as soon as I have a bit of time, I'll pull the code and start from there.

Thanks to all

Old 11-15-2009, 01:42 PM

So, it looks like I'm experiencing another issue.

I've not own that car for a while, so you'll be better placed to tell me if my issue really is one.

Since I fuelled the car 2 days ago, 130km later, my fuel gauge has not moved from the top. The needle is still above the last mark.

Am I crazy or is my car really fuel efficient? (This is the first time I fill it full)

Old 11-15-2009, 02:00 PM
Chubby Chaser

yea when u fill them up it takes awhile for it to start going down