Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

2000 civic noise while turning right only? bad cv joint?

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2009, 09:40 AM
Default 2000 civic noise while turning right only? bad cv joint?

Car: 2000 civic, automatic, with 105k kms.

Problem: This noise only occurs while the car is turning right. Sound intensity increases as I turn more and increase speed. Doesn't happen at all while turning left. Also, noise doesn't occur in park and turning wheel fully either left or right. While turning right if I shift to neutral sound is still present

Here's the sound from the passenger side:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_gjBgDfWIhA

Here's the sound from driver's side:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1lu8rQ6Norc

I checked the cv boots, and neither side looks punctured or leaking fluid. Any ideas on what might be causing this? What would be the next step to check?

Thanks in advance for the assistance.

Old 11-14-2009, 11:45 AM
Chubby Chaser

does your steering wheel shake when ur at high speeds and hit the brakes?
it doesnt sound like a cv axle, more like a warped rotor or a bad wheel bearing, have you checked your brake pads?

Old 11-15-2009, 10:27 AM

I jacked up the car today, and took apart the brake pads. Brake pads are at least 90% if not more. All the boots, suspension parts looked intact and secure. Wheel bearings on both sides are solid. I think the left driver's side rotor is grinding against something. It's definitely a metal to metal sound. Unfortunately, I wasn't able to take the rotor off, as those two screws were impossible to take off. I cleaned off the pads and rotors with brake parts cleaner, and now the sound is a bit more pronounced while turning right.

Old 11-15-2009, 10:37 AM
HCF Member

the metal to metal sound might be the metal shield behind the rotor. make sure there is room between the shield and the rotor.

you can drill the screw heads. had to do that myself recently.

Old 11-15-2009, 06:45 PM

I still have to check what's rubbing behind the rotor. But I guess I shouldn't rule out the wheel bearing. With the wheel on, and the front end jacked up, I did the wheel bearing check... tried to move it up and down/in and out but it was rock solid. Could I still have a bad bearing without any movement?

I read this elsewhere which has me worried:
"Make both a right turn and a left turn. If you hear the noise only when making one of these turns or the noise worsens when you make a turn, the problem is likely to be a wheel bearing. If turning one direction makes the noise louder and turning the other direction makes it quieter or makes it go away entirely, it is almost certainly a wheel bearing. This is a huge safety issue which must be dealt with immediately by a professional mechanic."

Old 11-15-2009, 10:18 PM
HCF Member

A wheel bearing really wont make much noise at low speeds. is it only when u are turnign sharp of when u just turn a little bit.
To test your wheel bearings get out on a smoth road and get up to about 40mph. Then kinda go back and forth on the road. not real fast just nice and slow. If u turn the wheel to the right and the noise goes away it is the right side. If u turn the wheel to the left and it goes away it is the left side. When u take the pressure off the wheel bearing it will get quiter. So when the wheel picks up off the road a bit and its not as loud it is that side.
Hope i helped you out.