Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Check engine light blinking

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2012, 02:28 PM
Default Check engine light blinking

First off, the light was on steady prior to this. Mechanic thought it might be a sensor or something but since I was already putting $$ into fixing other things, I told him to wait. It had been on for well over a year and I hadn't any problems.

So, a few days ago, I had a new manifold put on (old one had a slight crack in it) and some other exhaust work done. Also, had the timing belt and water pump changed at the same time.

First day or two that I drove the car after getting these things done it ran fine. Today I took it down the highway about 15 miles and again, it drove fine. Then after getting back in car to head back home, the car was idling rough (when put in neutral the rpms raise a bit and that helps the rough idle.) and the check engine light was now blinking. The engine seems to have a little less power...struggles a bit while picking up speed.

Fyi, about two years ago I replaced the distrubutor also (found out I didn't need to....the problem was actually the main relay) but I didn't put the old distributor back in...so THAT is fairly new too.

Thanks for any ideas or suggestions

Old 07-14-2012, 02:35 PM
HCF Member

The car is in limp mode to prevent damage, that's why the CEL is blinking, DON'T DRIVE IT.

Did you do the timing belt or did you have it done somewhere? The timing belt could have been installed wrong (prob tensioner) and the belt has slipped a tooth making the timing off causing the blinking CEL and poor performance. This is what I would look at first since the timing belt was just done.

Do you have a code scanner? If you don't go rent one from a parts store.

I wouldn't drive it, if the timing belt has slipped it could break at anytime and that would probably ruin your motor.

Old 07-14-2012, 04:14 PM
Recognized HCF Member

What model year? If it's a distributor type (1996-2000) you may have misfiring from bad spark wires. Blinking CEL means misfiring in any case. Continuing to drive while misfiring puts raw gasoline into the catalytic converter, overheating it and causing possible melting of the internal parts. That's why the CEL blinks indicating a more urgent situation than most cases where it is on steady.

Last edited by mk378; 07-14-2012 at 04:51 PM.
Old 07-15-2012, 07:21 AM

Its a 98 Civic LX. Thank you for the warnings about not driving it. It was a cert. mechanic that fixed the latest repairs. Sounds like a tow truck is in order.

Old 07-15-2012, 10:05 AM

CEL was on before due to the crack in the manifold resulting in a "bad" sensor code. Blinking CEL means misfire 100%. I agree with MK.