Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Check Engine Light - result of axle replacement?

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2011, 01:30 AM
Default Check Engine Light - result of axle replacement?

Hello all ... regarding a 1997 Civic CX hatchback w/190k miles 1.6L AT

Had both axles replaced and within 48 hours had the CELight. Took it to Autozone and KwikKar in the DFW area and both had the same error code of P0135, the Oxygent (O2) sensor needed replacement.

But some friends stated that during the axle replace that the wires could have been loosened or cut. The CEL did not occur immediately but about 30 miles and 48 hours after that axle repair. So, is that scenario possible - that the repair could have loosened the wires??

the error code showed the "upstream" or top sensor as bad, not the "downstream" one near the catalytic converter.

thanks for any advice

Old 11-29-2011, 04:32 PM
HCF Member

No, an axle replacement should not have messed with the O2 sensor unless they removed the halfshaft for some reason. You can see the sensor on mine in one of the photos in the link below...

https://www.hondacivicforum.com/foru...nt-pics-89313/

They shouldn't have even come close. If the wires are frayed, I'd suspect they did something. If not, it's likely coincidence.

Old 11-29-2011, 04:43 PM
HCF Member

Axles being replaced should have nothing to do with an 02 CEL.

Old 11-29-2011, 05:09 PM

Well boiler, he has a D series most likely. Meaning no half shaft. The driver axle goes all the way from the hub to trans.

Also, since he has a non-EX/SI 96-00 Civic, he has the cat built into the manifold. That means his o2 sensor should be in the middle of the manifold, or directly under the manifold, near the A/C condenser or radiator. I can't remember off that top of my head, but I did replace my brothers Y7 exhaust manifold about 2 years ago. The down stream o2 sensor is also closer to the front of the car than to the axles.

OP, 190k on what I may assume is a stock Honda o2 sensor is just simply dead. Replacements shouldn't be too expensive. A 4 wire o2 sensor is most likely what you need. Make sure to get one specifically for Hondas with the connector on it unless you want to splice wires etc. Also, check for cracks around o2 sensor area up top. My brother's was cracked in multiple places. Apparently, it is a common problem from what I hear.

It would also be a good idea to inspect the wires, too. That is never a bad thing. You could also try to simply reset the ECU to see if comes back on. If so, I would definitely suggest to replace the o2 sensor, or possibly the manifold if it is damaged. Let us know what you find.

Last edited by cvcrcr99; 11-29-2011 at 05:11 PM.
Old 12-14-2011, 02:45 AM

thanks for all the advice..I have a follow up question

After AAMCO Transmission changed my axles, the wheel alignment went slightly bad. They said that was a natural result of front end work and to take it to a shop. Since I'm not a car expert, did not argue with them, but instinctively we know that when one problem is fixed - another should NOT arise.

so were they ripping me off? Did they just try to cover up their mistake?

------------

another question - there seems to be a lot of price variation for an upstream sensor , anywhere from $50 to $175 for a 1997 Civic CX AT. Which is best? Bosch , Denso or something else? Kwik Kar wanted $330 to replace upstream and downstream (parts and labor claiming each part was $125 x2 = 250, plus 80 for labr). Local HOnda dealer wanted a whopping $740 to replace both. Wow!

thanks again

Old 12-14-2011, 03:53 AM
Recognized HCF Member

The one piece manifold / cat is prone to cracking. Check that first.

Replacing an axle should not change the wheel alignment at all. The parts that are taken apart to get the axle out can only go back together the exact same way they were.