Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

civic dying after warm up

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2011, 05:38 PM
Default civic dying after warm up

Hello, Newbie here looking for some help.

I have a '93 civic 5spd, 1.5 motor. It has been dying on me. I recently replaced the plugs, wires, distributer and rotor. The car seems to start pretty easily even when left for several days in below 0 weather. After it warms up it'll die. Then after a minute or two it'll start then I can drive a little ways and it'll die again. This afternoon I started it up, let it idle to warm up then just sat there revving the motor. It would almost always die as soon as I let off the gas. It'd idle down, idle for a second and die. Then it would crank hard and start right back up again. I repeated this several times. You guys have some places to look? No CEL right now.

thanks.

Old 02-10-2011, 06:33 PM

Eh... On this one, I could make a guess for main relay since it dies and the ignition is theoretically good. The main relay usually manifests with an inability to start in warm weather, though it was a common problem with this generation.

Do you have a friend who could sit with an ear to the back seat bottom? Fuel pump is under the back seat. The main relay supplies power to the fuel pump. No pump, no pressure, car no go. Do a cold start, let them listen, and if they hear the humming stop when the car dies, that's a good indication.

Does the CEL work? It should come on when you first start the car, then go away.

Old 02-10-2011, 07:15 PM

Yep the CEL comes on when starting.

Isn't the Main relay under the dash? I'm pretty sure I can hear it clicking when the key is turned on, when the CEL goes off, and when I start it. I'll have a friend see if he can hear the fuel pump under the rear seat.

I was reading some other threads, is there a chance this could be the IACV? Seems like a pretty easy thing to try and clean it.

Old 02-15-2011, 06:26 PM

I decided to try cleaning the IACV and may have made some progress. After cleaning and putting it back together. I could NOT get it to die at all. Before it would die every time after bring the rpms way up and then letting off the throttle. I had it going for probably half and hour and it never died. We'll see how it goes from here.