Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Civic Starting Help

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2011, 04:21 PM
Default Civic Starting Help

I am in search of some technical help!! This past summer my 1999 Honda Civic Ex had some problems starting after short trips (~5-10 min in duration). I would turn the key and nothing would happen. The lights on the dashboard would light up but there would be no clicking sounds - just silence. After about 10 minutes the car would start like nothing happened. A friend of mine replaced the starter in August. The problem stopped for a few weeks. Then one morning when I dropped my son off at day care I was ready to leave and the problem was back. This past week after I filled up with gas the problem happened again. Again, both these trips were less than 10 minutes. Has anyone had a similar problem??

Thanks!

Old 10-07-2011, 05:12 AM
Recognized HCF Member

Manual or automatic transmission? If it's automatic, try shifting to Neutral instead of Park and then try to start. If that works, the switch on the shift lever is bad. It is designed to disable the starter unless the lever is at Park or Neutral.

When you turn the key to the start position, do the lights on the dash stay on?

Also it could be the alarm system acting up. I think even the stock alarm has a starter cutout feature.

Last edited by mk378; 10-07-2011 at 05:15 AM.
Old 10-07-2011, 05:32 PM

Originally Posted by mk378
Manual or automatic transmission? If it's automatic, try shifting to Neutral instead of Park and then try to start. If that works, the switch on the shift lever is bad. It is designed to disable the starter unless the lever is at Park or Neutral.

When you turn the key to the start position, do the lights on the dash stay on?

Also it could be the alarm system acting up. I think even the stock alarm has a starter cutout feature.
I have an automatic transmission. I will try your advice when this problem happen again.

Thanks!!!!

Old 10-07-2011, 05:33 PM

Originally Posted by aeroemt
I have an automatic transmission. I will try your advice when this problem happen again.

Thanks!!!!
Yes - the lights on the dash do stay on as well.

Old 10-08-2011, 09:52 PM
HCF Member

Did anyone check the battery cable connectors to make sure both are tight and there is no corrosion at the battery terminals? A loose ground wire at the engine will also cause those symptoms.

If the cables are all tight, check voltage at the starter when the car won't crank. If the voltage is not there, the ignition switch could be bad.