Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Cold Start Injector UPDATE: (Please Help)

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2005, 11:42 PM
Default Cold Start Injector UPDATE: (Please Help)

I need some help (Advice) real bad.

I have a '96 Civic DX (94,000 miles) and it just started giving me this problem. About 3 weeks ago my check engine light came on and the car continued to run fine. After a week the check engine light went off and the car still ran fine. Yesterday morning (2 weeks after the check engine light went out) when I went to start the car, it was a little hard to start (like it wasn't firing) and when it did finally fire, it was all I could do to keep it running. After it warmed up, it ran fairly good. When I tried to start it again this morning, it was the same thing all over again.
Here's what we did today to try to solve the problem:
Changed the cap and rotor
Changed the wires
Changed the plugs
After we did all this work we checked the computer and no faults or misfires were showing.
The car still acts exactly the same as it did before.
A friend told me that possibly a '96 Civic has what's called a "Cold Start Injector" that may be bad.
Has anyone heard of this before?
My car isn't driveable in this condition. I need some help fast!
Thanks in advance for the help! Bill

Old 11-15-2005, 01:46 PM
Default RE: Cold Start Injector Question (Please Help)

i dont believe that thare is a cold start injector on any hondas. what waight oil are you using. and how cold is it when your trying to start it.

Old 11-15-2005, 03:20 PM
HCF Member

Maybe try changing your battery? That could be shot.

Old 11-15-2005, 04:21 PM

throwing parts isnt a good way to fix a car. i would use a scantool to check the codes. and see whats going on before you waste more money.

Old 11-15-2005, 10:19 PM
HCF Member

ORIGINAL: neon3kgt

throwing parts isnt a good way to fix a car. i would use a scantool to check the codes. and see whats going on before you waste more money.
I agree, you can fix a car by changing every part in sight. If you stop for a second and troubleshoot the problem you can save yourself alot of money. And about the battery, how does the starter crank the car over? Does it sound like the starter is cranking normally or does it sound like its cranking slower than it should?

Old 11-17-2005, 11:09 PM
Default Cold Start Problem (UPDATE: Please Help)

Battery is fine and engine cranks over fine. It will start but run very very very rough until it warms up. Then it will run alright.
You are correct, there is no cold start injector on this car and when I say cold start it's about 40-50 degrees outside (Not Real Cold).

New Parts:
New cap and rotor
New plug wires
New plugs

I had some good spare parts laying around and changed:
Map Sensor
Idle Air Control Valve
Throttle Body w/sensors

We used a scan tool and no codes come up. If I unplug the MAP sensor, the car will start fine cold but only with it unplugged. I put 2 MAP sensors on it and that's not the problem. Vaccum is great and we checked for leaks on head and intake and it's fine too.
This is driving me nuts. Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

P.S. My friend is a Master Honda Mechanic at the local Honda Dealership and he's never seen this problem before and said it will be very difficult to diagnose with no codes showing up. He also said at the dealership they have some sort of scan tool about twice the size of a laptop and they plug it into your car and it reads every sensor and if it doesn't show any codes, it hooks them right up with a Honda Technician (AT HONDA) and he'll diagnose your problem and tell you exactly what's wrong. He's taking it to the dealership Monday to see what's up. (Cost For Diagnosis $52.00) Anyone heard of this before?

Old 11-18-2005, 07:37 PM
HCF Member
Default RE: Cold Start Problem (UPDATE: Please Help)

check your coolant temp sensor--the one for the computer --not the gauge--also the air intake temp sensor---these 2 sensors tell the computer how cold or hot the engine is ---if its out of wack or out of range , it may be telling the computer its hot & not giving it enough fuel on cold days ---thus hard starting ---once warm it should start fine

Old 12-08-2006, 05:44 AM
Default RE: Cold Start Problem (UPDATE: Please Help)

hey new here...1998 civic with the same problem...this started on the first cold mornings...i can get it started after sevral start/die...it does have something to do with cold....i do rumn a thicker oil...if that is a problem let me know..but i dont think that is a starting problem...i have hat ox sensor problems...and i got tired of buying sensors...but what does the cold have to do with it?? and if it is the sensors in the air intake will it throw a cade...this is my wifes car and when im gone i cant start it or help her...... 1998 civie 125k miles no other problems only parts changed ---coil,tmg belt

Old 04-25-2021, 06:20 PM

why does my 1994 honda civic does not start when cold, like in the mornings?