Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Compression check....

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2012, 04:23 PM
Question Compression check....

What is a good reading for a compression test on a D16Y8 engine? I let mine crank about five or six tmes and then took the reading. All the clyniders read around 150 psi. I think this is good, but woud like to know for sure.

I had to run the checks because I was concerned about the engine power. Right now, if I put the front tires at the bottom of a set of car ramps, the car will not pull itself up the ramps. I have to get a three foot run at the ramps, in order to get it up on them.

There is a possiblity the transmission isn't shifting into low gear, but that is yet to be determined.

Old 01-04-2012, 07:12 AM
HCF Member

Originally Posted by HiDesertRat
What is a good reading for a compression test on a D16Y8 engine? I let mine crank about five or six tmes and then took the reading. All the clyniders read around 150 psi. I think this is good, but woud like to know for sure.

I had to run the checks because I was concerned about the engine power. Right now, if I put the front tires at the bottom of a set of car ramps, the car will not pull itself up the ramps. I have to get a three foot run at the ramps, in order to get it up on them.

There is a possiblity the transmission isn't shifting into low gear, but that is yet to be determined.
not really answering your question but how do you do a compression test on a honda civic?