Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

confusing starter issues

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2012, 04:54 AM
Default confusing starter issues

Well I'm trying to figure out what the problem could be. 2 things actually for my 98' Honda Civic LX, any insight will be appreciated.

1st issue: when it starts sometimes it will crank right up smoothly then other times it will be a bit rough then smooth itself out and it never stalls. A couple times it wouldnt start but 90% of the time it does. My dad checked the distributor cap and rotator cup and everything looked fine.

2nd issue:it didnt do this until about a week ago. The car ran hot so I took it to a mechanic he refilled the radiator fluid and checked for leaks and it was fine. Now if I sit idle or drive without having the heat on it goes up and I'm scared to drive it and fry the motor. So I've been blasting the heat to prevent it.

Old 12-17-2012, 07:42 AM

No start issue sounds like a ignition switch issue. Somewhat common. Have you checked and confirmed your battery leads are on tight?

Overheat issue seems more of an isse you need to address. If you are not leaking the coolant, you are burning it off. When the engine is cold, remove the radiator cap and see if fluid is in there. If not, you need to add coolant of course.

You have confirmed that there are absolutely no leaks? (No wet spots on the ground?) Do you have white smoke coming from the tail pipe? You can attempt to bleed the cooling system to purge the air out. If you see continuous bubbles, then you might be looking at a blown head gasket, which is a major problem if left unattended. Let us know what you find out.

Old 12-17-2012, 12:06 PM
Recognized HCF Member

If the radiator is staying full it could be because the fan doesn't work. Find the fan switch at the thermostat housing (engine end of the lower radiator hose). Unplug the switch and put a small wire into the holes in the plug to jumper the two holes together. The radiator fan should now start immediately when you turn the key on. If it doesn't, troubleshoot the motor, fuse, and relay. If the fan does run, test drive with the fan running constantly to see if it still overheats. No overheating would mean that the fan switch is bad and didn't start it when plugged in normally.

Old 12-19-2012, 06:51 PM
Default starter issues

Well my dad came up and checked the distributor cap and cleaned off the little metal nips cause they were kinda dirty, and it seems to be doing a lot better. The only time it seems to have issues is when it gets real cold. Today cause it was warmer it started up with no problems at all. It seems the gauge only goes up when its real cold outside.