Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Cracked Cylinder Head (UPDATED)

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2006, 04:24 AM
Default Cracked Cylinder Head (UPDATED)

Ok, I had my car checked by a mechanic because I've been encountering the ff. problems:

1. Rough starting [:@]
2. Dancing temp guage when I get a little aggressive on the gas [:@]
3. Water seems to decrease even with new radiator and there are no visible leaks or steam [:@]
4. Car stalls if I don't give it at least 5 mins to heat up during the first start of the day [:@]

My mechaninc said that it might be a cracked cylinder head. Honda says I should bring it to the Service Center to have a general check on all the engine components, but I really don't want to do that because the Civ is my only car and it will probably take Honda 4-5 days just to find the problem.

So guys, what do you think the problem is? Is it really a cracked cylinder head or is something else wrong? [sm=smiley25.gif]

UPDATE 11/21/2006:

It has now been 2 weeks since the car got to the shop. The service was supposed to be a resurfacing of the cylinder head, installing new valve guides as well as reseating, changing out of the gaskets, valve seals and some numerous other oil seals and filters, as well as installation of a new thermostat and bypass hose (bcuz mine ripped [:@]). Today was supposed to be the day it would finally be finished. I watched anxiously as my mechanic started bolting on my newly redone cylinder head... SUDDENLY, while he was torqing the bolts that held the cylinder head and block together, he jerked as if something slipped.[:-] As he was reaching stock torque he then found out that the thread of my engine block wasn't biting... LOOSE THREAD!!! Now he has to rip everything apart and send the block to a machine shop to get it rethreaded... My initial two weeks of waiting has now officially become a MONTH![:@] He told me that when he was taking the head off during the first day, he noticed that the same bolt was loose already. He just thought previous mechanics (as the car was bought second hand) didn't bolt it on securely... So please guys, pray for my Civ's speedy recovery...

Old 10-31-2006, 08:58 AM
HCF Member
Default RE: Cracked Cylinder Head?

how many miles on the car? does it smoke?

Old 10-31-2006, 10:42 AM

try compression check

Old 11-03-2006, 02:50 AM

@HARI.: Its got about 80k kms on it (sorry, to lazy to convert ) Also, it doesn't smoke at all.

@patcheway: I'm getting a compression test tom. Just wondering, say it fails the compression test, what could be the cause?

Old 11-03-2006, 11:39 AM
HCF Member

# 2 and 3 could be a small crack in the top or bottom of the rad tanks - they are plastic

Old 11-03-2006, 06:51 PM

I doubt it's a crack in the tanks because I just got the rad tank fixed. What else could be the problem? Btw, what happens if there's a crack in the cylinder head?

Old 11-03-2006, 06:57 PM

Just got the results from my compression test. Turns out that the car is postive for loosing compression. My mechanic reccomends changing out the head, gaskets, valve seals, etc. He called it a "top overhaul kit", or something like that... Anyways, I would like to ask for a second opinion...

Old 11-03-2006, 08:13 PM

hmmmm..... that is scary, my car does the same thing. except it doesn't stall. i hope it isn't too serious. i don't have the money. well if you find out any more details then please share. thanks

Old 11-04-2006, 06:18 PM
HCF Member

i have a simalar problem, but mine is a leaky head gasket, its leaking oil on to the front of the block, but its also burining small amounts of A/F. this week im taking it off and gonna have it milled, but u guys dont need to do that, its pretty simple to take off, i got a top end gasket set for 50 bux, and then i got new A/F and oil, oil filter, fuel filter(not nessisarry) as far as special tools you really only need a torqe wrench, check it out in your manual, or check this thead out, link

im gonna make a tuitorial like that when i do it, hopefully with better pics and stuff so you can check it out when im done

Old 11-04-2006, 10:35 PM
HCF Member

Changing a HG is pain in the ****, lots of work.....but it saves you at least 600$ in labor.

Quick Reply: Cracked Cylinder Head (UPDATED)