Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Crank, No-Start Issue.....still

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2012, 04:36 PM
Default Crank, No-Start Issue.....still

Hey all, I posted several months ago on here about my civic's starting issues, any help that you guys might be able to offer would be much appreciated, I'd love to get this car out of my garage.

Here's my problem; Car stalled out, wouldn't restart. Got the car home, and started going through it, and here's what I've found and everything that I have done so far.

-Compression checks show all cylinders in spec
-Distributor working properly
-Spark wires functional
-Replaced spark plugs (just for good measure)
-Fuel Pressure good up to throttle body
-Replaced Fuel Pressure Regulator
-Replaced PCV Valve
-Cleaned IAC Valve & Replaced Gasket
-Reflowed solder joints at main relay and confirmed functions
-Checked all fuses
-Swapped ECU w/ known good unit

Car will crank, but not start. Will start w/ starting fluid, but dies as soon as fluid is stopped being sprayed in.

Also a side note that I believe to be important, when the car initially died, the turn indicators and the hazard lights were not functioning. This is leading me to believe that there is an electrical issue somewhere that I'm not seeing. Got the feeling it'll be something stupid like a loose ground bolt, but so far I haven't been able to find anything.

Also, the only trouble code that is being thrown is a code 10 (intake air temp). I'd really like to get this thing back on the road and out of my garage as I've got a spring project that is waiting for the space in my garage that this car is taking up.

Thanks guys and gals.

Chris

Old 03-13-2012, 04:38 PM
Recognized HCF Member

What model year?

If <= 2000 model, you should disconnect the return line after the fuel pressure regulator and check for good fuel flow. While you're doing this get a sample of the gas and if it is stale, drain gas tank and put in fresh gas. They're very hard to start on stale gas.

Also check the cam timing. Timing belts can skip and cause immediate loss of performance / failure to run.

Last edited by mk378; 03-13-2012 at 04:44 PM.
Old 03-13-2012, 05:16 PM

Oops, lol sorry completely forgot that didn't I! 1989 Civic 1.5 DPFI

Old 03-13-2012, 08:42 PM

wow mine just took a crap this morning....while my daughter was driving it and it seem to be not getting any fuel 96 ex 5sp