Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

crank posiiton sensor connector issue

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2012, 11:35 AM
Default crank posiiton sensor connector issue

i recently had an issue with my civic stalling, then not starting, i looked and it had thrown a code. Turned out it was the crank position sensor. I replaced the sensor, only to find out that the old sensor had gotten caught up on one of the pulleys creating the problem. Even more of a problem than i had anticipated turns out it pulled the wires from the back of the connector, breaking one of them off.

I know i can replace the connectors etc, but the problem lies in getting to the wires they are only about three inches long and i can barely get one hand in there, beneathe the intake manifold, at a time, not really enough room to fix the problem.

Any suggestions, maybe someone here knows how to move the harness from beneath the intake and make a workable area.

All help and suggestions are greatly appreciated.
We're talking about a 97 civic dx with a d16y7 if that helps any

If you don't have any suggestions, maybe a reputable shop near Cincinnati would help.
Thanks
Mark

Last edited by gone4pepsi; 04-21-2012 at 11:38 AM.
Old 04-23-2012, 05:23 AM
Recognized HCF Member

The sensor on the crankshaft is the CKF sensor, failure of it will not prevent running. The critical CKP sensor is inside the distributor.

The best way to work on the CKF sensor is to lift the car off the ground, remove the wheel and plastic fender liner.