Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Stuck O2 Sensor Connector

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2012, 12:46 PM
Default Stuck O2 Sensor Connector

Hi Everyone,

I have a 95 Civic EX with a cracked exhaust manifold. I have a replacement kit, but I cannot disconnect the O2 sensor from the harness. I tried pressing down the tab to the connector and pulling them apart, but I can't get it to budge. I even tried PB blaster on the connectors. With all of my strength, I can't get them to budge.

Has anyone ever run into this problem? Does anyone have any tricks for separating the connectors?

Thanks!
~Mike F.

Old 03-23-2012, 01:19 PM
HCF Member

Haven't seen a stuck connector before.. any pix..

Old 03-23-2012, 01:25 PM
HCF Member

Originally Posted by Mike F.
Hi Everyone,

I have a 95 Civic EX with a cracked exhaust manifold. I have a replacement kit, but I cannot disconnect the O2 sensor from the harness. I tried pressing down the tab to the connector and pulling them apart, but I can't get it to budge. I even tried PB blaster on the connectors. With all of my strength, I can't get them to budge.

Has anyone ever run into this problem? Does anyone have any tricks for separating the connectors?

Thanks!
~Mike F.
lol...i had the exact same problem.

first thing i did was removed the connector from the bracket that mounts it and keeps the connector from moving around while driving. there was a tab i pressed down on and it slid right off the bracket. this gave me more room to pull at them. then there was another tab i pressed down on that allowed the connectors to come apart. i was at it for hours pulling on the side of the connector that was attached to the bracket and obviously was getting no where because the bracket was holding it in place. i finally figured out that the bracket was keeping me from making any progress. kinda like one of those stupid bone head mistakes like pushing on the door that says pull

but this is my car and it may be different than yours.

Old 03-24-2012, 03:14 AM
Recognized HCF Member

Yes there is a locking system built in. You must take the connector off of the bracket first before it can be disconnected.

Old 03-24-2012, 10:23 AM

Thanks mk378 and briceman124! I will try it and let you know how it went.

Old 04-08-2012, 04:47 PM

Alright! I did what you guys said, and the connector disconnected just fine.

I spent a good amount of time replacing the exhaust manifold, just to find out that it seems to be the wrong part!! There was only one heat shield for the front when there should have been another one for the back. There was no hole in the top of the heat shield for the dip stick! Also, the gasket was very similar to the old one, but not exactly the same.

I must have been very tired to not notice these things until the END, but what can I do now? The manifold is leaking exhaust as much as before if not more. I am having a hard time trying to pinpoint whether it's coming from the top or the bottom. I'm hoping that all I have to do is tighten all of the bolts more, and that will seal the leaks. I am too tired...I will try again tomorrow....