Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

CVT Help PLS

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2008, 06:17 AM
HCF Member
Default CVT Help PLS

Is it hard to change the start clutch?? Special tool require?? The problem im having with my transmission is when i shift to drive cold or hot engine, the transmission would engage and jerk forward without me even pressing the gas. And it would pulsate. It would pulsate to the point that the engine will almost stall, this is assuming i press the brake on hard so it doesnt move. As far as accelerating, the engine has to rev up to about 2k rpm or so then it jerks to go. This happends in drive and reverse. I have pulled CEL and one is insufficent EGR flow, and i believe the other one was shift control something. I've already tried cleaning the EGR but no result for that. As far as working on the transmission itself. I've changed out my fluid twice. Previous owner did put regular ATF in it, but i put in HONDA CVT. Iv'e actually overhauled to lower valve body of the transmission also. and tested the solenoids. all seems too click when battery connect to it, except for the inhibitor solenoid with is a smaller different one of the three other solenoid. I opend the entire valve body and cleaned everything and made sure all the little valves moved freely. After doing all this i am about the start a ATX TO MTX Conversion, but i would like to get your input if i can fix this for cheaper.
Thanks in advance.

Old 04-29-2008, 09:40 AM
Recognized HCF Member
Default RE: CVT Help PLS

The CEL code for the mentioned shift control seems highly relevant. To troubleshoot, look the code up in the service manual:

http://hondatech.info/downloads/Auto/Manuals/Civic/

Old 04-29-2008, 03:03 PM
gwl
HCF Member

With your EGR problem, you have to clean out all the carbon buildup in the passage ways. You can see a cover that is removable on top the intakemanifold to gain access.

Old 04-29-2008, 05:58 PM
HCF Member

Check your tranny and motor mounts

Old 04-29-2008, 08:55 PM
HCF Member

how do you remove that fuel line??? release the pressure??

Old 04-29-2008, 11:58 PM
HCF Member

ORIGINAL: gwl

With your EGR problem, you have to clean out all the carbon buildup in the passage ways. You can see a cover that is removable on top the intakemanifold to gain access.
I thought that the "EGR flow insufficient" issue was only on Prelude and Accord intake manifolds. They have "EGR service ports" that have to be cleaned out.

More info found here
http://www.preludepower.com/forums/s...d.php?t=275440

Old 05-09-2008, 08:05 AM

95-97 civics have extended emission warranty. any CEL that is emissions related (such as the EGR valve) can be fixed at the dealership charge.
I took my 96 hx to the dealership and they replaced the manifold/converter (mine had a crack), o2 sensor, and egr valve. They will even give you a free oil change with this service. I believe the extended mileage for this is 150k, but double check with the dealership.

To change a start clutch, I believe you're going to have to disassemble the tranny. It's not easy like replacing a normal clutch on a 5-speed.