Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Dead speedometer, O2 codes, blown fuse, 96+ civic dx

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2007, 01:51 PM
Default Dead speedometer, O2 codes, blown fuse, 96+ civic dx

According to my mechanic and his website; this is a common problem and solution with the 96+ Civic

Description: Speedometer went dead. Circuit 15 under-dash fuse blows. MIL comes on. Alternate scenarios are the speedometer begins jumping around wildly at random times and the fuse doesn't blow. Driving after the fuse has blown means that the car is running on the battery and results in a dead battery...meaning the rpm meter eventually goes dead while the car is running, then the car starts running very poorly, until finally the car won't run or start.

Engine:
D16Y7 1.6L SOHC non-VTEC 96+ Civic CX/DX/LX 106hp
Codes:
PO135 O2 Heater Circuit (Bank 1, Sensor 1)
PO141 O2 Heater Circuit (Bank 1, Sensor 2)
P1298 Electrical Load Detector Circuit High Input

Solution:
There is wiring harness bolted to the underneath side of the intake manifold which, due to vibration, eventually rubs through the wire insulation and shorts out the circuit...most often the speedometer/alternator circuit. It is hard to see and, without very close inspection by looking at the individual wires, looks just fine at first sight. (I searched very hard for worn wiring before giving up) Using electrical tape you can repair the wire insulation. Use extra tape around the bundle to insulate it from more rubbing damage. Clear the codes on the care, replace the blown fuse, and the problem should be fixed.

Finally, please let me know by responding if this post saved you $$$$. I'd like to know that my $220 went a little further than just to fix my car.

Previous Relevant forum posts
https://www.hondacivicforum.com/m_180957/tm.htm
https://www.hondacivicforum.com/m_321428/tm.htm
https://www.hondacivicforum.com/m_290861/tm.htm

Old 02-15-2013, 07:13 AM
Exclamation 96 honda civ dx

hey matt. the same 3 codes are popping up on my car. my battery also died and speedometer is going wacky. sounds the same...i dont know where to look for the wire cluster tho. did u do it from the top or from under the car? im not too machanically inclined but i kno all the basics. any help would be much appritiated

Old 02-15-2013, 02:52 PM
Recognized HCF Member

This is a very common problem, a design/manufacturing defect generally called the "fuse 15 problem". Honda has a service bulletin about it. You really need to get underneath the car to see the wires in question. They are on the back of the engine, going across from the main harness near the starter to the alternator.

Old 02-22-2013, 07:23 AM

I think there might be some wiring problem.You need to check all connections.carefully.
Reading service bulletin will surly better guide you.