Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Delay in Pump Priming

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2016, 12:06 AM
Default Delay in Pump Priming

Hello All,

My 93 Civic DX began with a slight hesitation to start up. After a few weeks this got progressively worse. Before I had a chance to check I read that occasionally there can be a delay in the priming of the fuel. I would wait a few seconds, turn on the car and press the pedal at the same time. This bought me a few more weeks. Eventually it simply would not start.

I removed the fuel relay, re-soldered some joints and reinstalled. This seemed to work ok but I did notice that I am getting about a 2-3 second delay from the point I turn the car to on till fuel comes to my fuel filter (checked just before filter).

The odd thing is that once the car starts and runs a bit I don't have an issue with needing to wait. It just starts. Perhaps existing fuel in the system causes the quick start. Not sure.

Here'e my question. What would cause the pump to not kick on right away? Is this simply a fuel relay issue or perhaps something else.

One last thought. I don't smell fuel but I did wonder if perhaps a small hole in the line was causing any primed fuel to sink back into the tank overnight? Just a thought.

Thanks in advance,