Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

detachable steering wheel?/catback exhaust?

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2005, 06:18 PM
Default detachable steering wheel?/catback exhaust?

Heya guys, my names shawn and i have a 2000 civic si. Im new to the whole car modding thing but i have a couple questions that i havent figured out myself yet. Whats the difference between a new exhaust, and a cat back exhaust system, i also wondered if detachable steering wheels exist, and what kind of intake would be best for my car. i know theres like at least 2 different types. Thanks everybody!

Old 04-19-2005, 12:22 AM
Default RE: detachable steering wheel?/catback exhaust?

well to detach ur ateering wheel u msut first tak out ur stock cd player n look for a fuse that say ek34 it is blue in color after that you will be able to remove the steering wheel easily thus this fuse is electronically holding the steering wheel in place ,after ur wheel is off hit it with a hammer twice on the back end to release the air bag then attach a hub n ur steering wheel its that easy , ok next que the best intake or ur car would be actually believe it or not the stock air box out of a chevie corsica many do not know this but the air box gain for this is around A WHOPPING 30HP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!much more than n e after market one for a civic my mechanic /technichian billy grey showed me this n i was stunned,ok n lat ur ? bout cat backs cat back was named for te sound it amkes which liek a cat screaming!!!!!!!!!!roar!but the best exhaust u can do to a civic is to remove the cat all together n run a straight pipe kinda like the truckers have.i found a cheap diesiel engine mac truck exhaust n hooked it on my civic n with my intake n this exhaust i run around 9.3 secs in the 2 mile using ethenol n sport moshimoto zx300 tires like the one sin the fast n the furious!plus a cummins diesil turbo is a good upgrade with the exhaust n will make one hell of a race car!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 04-19-2005, 07:04 AM

Post some pics of that car.........LOL

Old 04-19-2005, 07:34 AM
Laced with Sarcasm

9.3 secs in the 2 mile

.....do you have to dig your eyeballs out of the back of your head when your done?

Old 04-22-2005, 09:58 AM
voz
HCF Member

ORIGINAL: bradcoonsracerx

best intake or ur car would be actually believe it or not the stock air box out of a chevie corsica many do not know this but the air box gain for this is around A WHOPPING 30HP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

CAn this be TRUE?

instuctions on how to install? tips and such!!

Old 04-22-2005, 03:02 PM

ok, for a serious response. congrats on the si bro. to answer ur questions, detatchable steering wheels are available, but are damn expensive for something that is the real deal (isnt it always that way?) i believe they were first seen in use in the TOCA race circuit in japan and other competiton races to allow the driver to quickly detatch his steering wheel and plug in a diagnostic program and download info (a really cool way of data logging if you ask me) if you really want the whole detatchale steering wheel thing, chk ebay. just be forewarned, you dont want that thing flying off when your driving!! also for intakes, it seems like the aem is about the most commonly seen, but injen is good as well. really, the k&n fipk kits are good, and offer good gains, but these are all expensive. i would find a used aem ems and put a k&n air filter on the bottom, and go with full cai, not a short ram. while a short ram may take out the baffles and give the air a shorter straighter path, it is drawing air from right by the exhaust manifold/radiator, and that is some hot shiznit. also, the cat back exhaust replaces the exhaust from the cat back, just like the name. I have a thermal r&d on my hatch, and had apexi world sport on my si, and i would reccomend either one, they are both mellow and deep, and are not annoyingly loud and ricey! with a stock civic, i think your best option and cheapest option, is to go to a weld or exhaust shop , and have them weld you a straighter exhaust, but still use your stock hangers and mounting points, and use a higher quality muffler and resonator. (2.25-2.5 in piping will do the trick) it will help free some hp at the expense of a little bit of low end tq. remember to replace the cat while your at it to pollute the air.

Old 04-22-2005, 04:09 PM

ORIGINAL: jdmekb16

ok, for a serious response.
hahaha