Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

steering rack w/o pwr steering

Old 09-29-2007, 04:50 PM
Default steering rack w/o pwr steering

Hi,

I have a '93 Civic DX and the pwr steering hose (pressure side) sprung a leak on me recently. A small hole due to corrosion developed on the metal tube leading to the steering rack. I cut (w/ a hacksaw) the tube about 2" shy of the rack and then proceeded to pull out the remaining 97% of the steering hose out of the engine bay. (I didn't try unthreading the connection at the rack just yet in case it was seized up.)

So my question is this... in the interest of time, is it possible to run the steering rack unpowered? That is, can I leave the fittings (at the steering rack) in place making sure the rack is sealed. With the rack sealed, there should be fluid there remaning keeping things lubricated, right? Well, that's what I'm hoping. Anybody have any thoughts/suggestions?

I'm really hesitant to try to unscrew the pressure-side feed connection at the rack in case I break or cross thread something. And I'd be happy to drive the car w/o pwr steering, as long as I'm not hurting the rack.

Thanks,

-Juilan