Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Dome Light

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2008, 07:34 AM
Recognized HCF Member
Default RE: Dome Light

ORIGINAL: mundy5
...if the dome light is functioning properly wouldn't it turn on with the keyless entry?
The circuit diagram for the keyless remote system of a 7th generation Civic indicates that the system does not turn ON the ceiling lights.

By the fact that it does not work with the keyless entry nor by the door sensor, I am suspected some wiring issues with the aftermarket radio. I know that the keyless entry circuit was removed from the stock radio, but perhaps, they didn't do the same with the dome light circuitry unless you guys know that the dome light circuitry was also removed from the stock radio.
Based on circuit diagrams in the 7th generation manual (see diagram above), the ceiling lights are turned ON by providing a ground in two different ways: (1) switching the ceiling light to the ON position (local ground) and (2) switching the ceiling light to the middle position and opening a door. An open door closes the door switch circuit, providing ground to the ceiling light via the multiplex control unit (remote ground).

By the way, another possible reason that the ceiling light does not turn ON when a door is open is that the middle position of the ceiling light switch is bad. This could be checked with a continuity tester.

Old 06-02-2008, 07:43 AM
HCF Member

so the 7th gen is very different then. on my 98, when i unlock the car using the keyless remote, it turns on the dome light automatically.

then if the dome light works in the on position but fails to work in the middle position, I can only say that there is some type of wiring issue or the sensor at the door?

Old 06-02-2008, 07:51 AM
Recognized HCF Member

ORIGINAL: mundy5
so the 7th gen is very different then. on my 98, when i unlock the car using the keyless remote, it turns on the dome light automatically.
Apparently so

then if the dome light works in the on position but fails to work in the middle position, I can only say that there is some type of wiring issue or the sensor at the door?
...or also a fault in the middle position of the ceiling light switch or even a faulty multiplex control unit.

Given that the OP said that the door switch was checked, I would start by testing the ceiling light switch and looking for a broken GRN/RED wire.

Old 06-02-2008, 02:53 PM

I'm gonna test the continuity today and post results, as well as try and follow the grn/red wire to see if I can find a break

and yeah, it USED to work with my stereo, but now it doesnt, so I'm rather perplexed

Old 06-02-2008, 03:44 PM

k, I checked the dome light continuity for open-door, it works, got continuity, and checked the green/red wire, it's continuous all the way to it's under-dash relay, so I know for a fact from dome to relay, all is good

Old 06-03-2008, 02:55 PM

bump, any more ideas? because I'm stumped again

Old 06-03-2008, 03:18 PM
Recognized HCF Member

You now need to troubleshoot the multiplex control unit. For details, see Civic (02-03) service manual here:

http://hondatech.info/downloads/Auto/Manuals/Civic/

Old 03-30-2009, 04:21 PM

i need help alright i have a 93 honda civic
dome lights work when switched on but when put in the middle for open door it won;t turn on fuse were checked and i know thats no the problem