Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Door Poppers....HELP

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2008, 12:50 PM
HCF Member
Default Door Poppers....HELP

So I bought a '99 Si. It's completely shaved, complete with door poppers. The drivers side has no assist spring, but still worked for a while. Now, when you push the button on the remote to release the door, the solenoid pulls the cable, but not enough to release the door. The inside handle pulls as if it's opening, but the door never really lets go of the metal bar in the door jam.

Also I'm having window problems due to a ground problem in the switch (so I think). I have a remote that operates each door, and rolls the windows down.

Could my door popper problems be from the faulty ground in the window switch?? being that they're both on a receiver for a remote?

Old 08-04-2008, 12:56 PM
Recognized HCF Member

Since the solenoid goes, it's probably a mechanical problem not electrical. Once a solenoid starts moving it tends to go all the way. If you pull the inside handle (but don't push out on the door) will it pop open? If not you might need to add springs. If it does, shorten up the solenoid linkage so it pulls the handle further.

Old 08-04-2008, 07:17 PM
HCF Member

No, there's no assist spring on the driver's side. However there is on the passenger one. I tried moving it from the passenger to the driver's door, still fails to pop open. The latch simply isn't opening enough to get it to let go of the bar. From the inside, you know how you can feel when the latch releases from the bar? Well, if you watch it when you try it with the remote, it isn't quite pulling the latch to this point. I suppose tomorrow I'll try to shorten the cable. I'm assuming the cable can stretch over time, and this car was modified into a show car by '01 according to the magazines i got with it. One shop suggested the solenoid has gotten weak, and said I should get a new solenoid, possibly with a higher weight pull so it'll last longer.

Now on rare occasions, I have this same issue with the passenger's door, but usually it pops right out on the second attempt.

See, what I was originally thinking, was that if I could have slow windows b/c of electrical problems (grounding issue), then by the same principle the solenoid would have poor performance...

.....if it isn't one thing, it's another =\