Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Dragging Clutch???

Old 04-26-2008, 12:37 PM
Angry Admin
Default Dragging Clutch???

(97 ex coupe) when my car is in neutral and i release the clutch i hear a slight scraping sound. also when i have the front of my car jacked up and the engine is running the front wheels spin. what could be the cause of this and how do i fix it. TIA

Old 04-26-2008, 04:17 PM
HCF Member
Default RE: Dragging Clutch???

sounds to me like your clutch is not disengaged all the way when you let out the petal, did you get a new clutch recently? i believe you can adjust the cable, someone else would know better than me but good luck

Old 04-26-2008, 04:33 PM
Angry Admin

my clutch is hydraulic, and no i did not just get a new clutch although i did replace the slave cylinder for it about a month or two ago. I'm thinking that maybe i might just need to bleed it again because there might be air bubbles still, but i'm not positive and i would like the input from the people that know a hell of a lot more than i do about civics.

Old 04-26-2008, 04:57 PM
Recognized HCF Member

When a clutch is truly dragging it will be very hard to shift into gears, especially reverse. It can make the car impossible to drive (well, in the normal manner anyway). Since you didn't mention that I assume it is not happening.

I think the noise you are hearing is worn bearings in the transmission. With the clutch pushed in it goes away because the transmission stops turning.

It may be normal for the wheels to turn as you describe, never tried it. When everything is moving freely it takes very little torque to do that. Anyway this would be an issue with the transmission not the clutch.

Old 04-28-2008, 04:38 AM
Angry Admin

If it is worn bearings in the transmission is it an important thing to get fixed or could i just let it slide. Also could someone check on the wheels rotating while the car is up in the air and the engine is running???