Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Driver side, left front door won't open

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2007, 02:56 PM
Default Driver side, left front door won't open

Hello people, I have a 98 civic ex and the driver side front door won't open. It won't open from the inside or out. The locking mechanism, both power and manuel, seem to be operating correctly. Problem is the door handles to open the car act as if the car is still locked. I have the top part of the panel pulled away from the door, I've tried working the rods by hand but that doesn't help. Space is tight, and getting to the latch in the door jam is just as tight. I saw in google groups this same problem but that guy got his door panel off. His was a different civic and I think his panel may not have fitted as snug against the dash etc.

Anyone else had this problem and know of a solution or know where I can get a picture of the locking mechanism, because I don't understand how it functions in coordination with the latch.

Any help would definitely be appreciated of course. LOL I did search the forum as well. Not a lot of posts that I could find on this.

griz

Old 04-22-2007, 04:53 PM
HCF Member
Default RE: Driver side, left front door won't open

your gonna have to wedge your hand in the some how and manual pop the door at the latch or the lock wich ever is broken, sorry but that what it sounds like to me

Old 04-22-2007, 09:52 PM

Thanks, thats about what I have figured. Someone recommended a slim jim. A friend and I had one a long time ago, but I dont have mine anymore, and he lives about 3 hours away. I thought I might be able to use one to jimmy the latch mechanism. Do you know how the lock works? I mean how does it connect to the latch?

Old 04-22-2007, 11:39 PM
HCF Member

im 99% sur the lock is connected the the latch, just find some with tiny arms and hands that will work also..lol good luck buddy

Old 04-22-2007, 11:41 PM
HCF Member

its not too hard to take apart the door and have a nice close view of whats wrong.

Old 04-22-2007, 11:43 PM
HCF Member

hey i tell ya what im gonna go to the junk yard tommorrow, im pretty sure atleat, they have a couple of the there let me try to open the door from the inside with the door panle on ok, this way i should be able to tell ya how to do it ok. this way you wont get all mad and beat up your car...lol
is it a 4 door or 2door coupe ect ect...

Old 04-24-2007, 08:05 AM

thanks people for all your replies. My door is still not working. I still climb in the passenger side. The car is a 98 ex coupe. (2door), I have taken loose the top rear part of the panel. I can reach in and move the connecting rods and not much else. Perhaps someone with tiny hands will be able to manipulate the lock mechanism. I doubt the panel can be completely removed because of the tight fit near the dash. plus, the panel when the door is closed, touches the weather stripping at the bottom. I can see the latch where it connects to the u shaped thing. I cant get a screwdriver or anything in there because of the tight fit with the rear driver side trim. I've bent the top metal strip that runs the length of the window on top of the panel. that sucked. Anyways, thanks again, Anyway, Im not going to fool with it until I either find a way to fix it or take it to a local mechanic. I don't wanna go the mechanic route, because this is something I should be able to fix. the google post i found, used a dremel, to do some cutting, I really dont wanna do that.

griz

thanks again.