Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Drivers Door Not Opening - Help!

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2010, 05:49 PM
Default Drivers Door Not Opening - Help!

I drive a '98 Honda Civic LX Sedan. When I first purchased it the right rear door would not open (it would unlock but not open) due to someone (according to the owner) hitting it. That wasn't really a problem.

But now, three years later, I got out, locked the door (with the key - I don't have any remotes activated for my car) and went into a bar. A few minutes later, I came out, unlocked the door...and even though the door unlocks, the handle is not opening the door. I ended up having to climb through my passenger side door. After driving it home I took a look at it - there is no damage indicating it was hit. What could have caused this and how can I fix it (preferably cheaply)??

Old 08-03-2010, 07:36 AM

Is there any tension in the handle, or does it feel disconnected? If it feels totally loose, that it must have come loose of the latch, but if it still feels right, there must be something up with the latch. I suppose that the lock could even be messed up and not seem so from the outside. If you're comfortable with it, just take the interior door trim off and make sure one of the rods that interacts with the latch hasn't come off or something.

Old 08-03-2010, 07:44 AM
Recognized HCF Member

If it won't open from the inside either, you'll have to take the inner panel off. That should be a lot easier if you remove the driver's seat first. The seat just has 4 bolts holding it to the floor.

Not to feed your paranoia, but someone trying to break into the car with a "slim jim" can mess up the mechanism in the door.