Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Dropping the Transaxle

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2006, 12:35 PM
Default Dropping the Transaxle

Holla fellow Civic fans!

I am changing the clutch in my wife's '94 Del Sol, it has 100,000 on the clock, but was driven hard and by the previous owner. Recently on her way to work the clutch decided to give up the ghost, and I am trying to fix it myself, however I have run against a problem.

The two trans mount bolts that are on either side of the clutch slave cylinder are being very difficult to remove. I got the top one came out using a 1/2 drive ratchet and a cheater bar, however the bolt's threads were buggered and had metal debris in them from the block. I easily broke the bottom one loose, but almost immediately it started binding up like the top one did. I have been soaking them in Liquid Wrench and giving it time to work, but it didn't seem to work well on the top so now I am trying my computer.

I have never worked on a Honda before, though I have years of shade-tree work on everything from Ford to Porsche, am I missing something? Is there a trick to backing-out those particular bolts?

Thanks in advance!

Old 03-05-2006, 05:31 PM
Default RE: Dropping the Transaxle

Make sure you're supporting the tranny with a jack so the weight isn't pulling down on the mount. Also, you might as well unbolt the slave cylinder from the the tranny now and get it out of the way, since you're going to have to anyway.

Old 03-06-2006, 08:49 AM
Default RE: Dropping the Transaxle

Yup it was supported and the clutch slave cylinder had already been unbolted and tucked out of the way. Thanks for the reply!